Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: mod_perl Public Relations [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 14:59, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>That's the whole point. In order to make things simple, it shouldn't
>>require commit access or anything list that. We could even use a
>>simplified version of slashdot, so people can submit stories, people can
>>comment on them, making it much more efficient and not creating any
>>bottlenecks.
>

> Yes, we could set up a blog for news. It seems a bit redundant to have
> comments when we already have the mailing list(s), so I would skip
> that. We also can't put things on the site without an approval process,
> so it would need users and permissions. If we are able to host web apps
> on perl.apache.org and someone out there feels like playing with some
> simple blog software (Blosxom? Bryar?), that would be fine with me.

Just throwing ideas, really. If the overhead of managing news is too
big, it will be too easy to stop doing that. So I'm just wondering
what's the simplest approach for more people being able to contibute w/o
as little overhead as possible.

Re: mod_perl Public Relations [ In reply to ]
* Perrin Harkins (perrin@elem.com) wrote:
> Glancing at the YAML docs, it looks like putting "----" between those
> would make them parseable as records, so maybe we'll use that after all.

YAML is _very_ buggy.

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=YAML

Also from the YAML POD...

WARNING: This is *ALPHA* code.

BIGGER WARNING: This is *TRIAL1* of the YAML 1.0 specification. The
YAML syntax may change before it is finalized. Based on past
experience, it probably will change. The authors of this spec have
worked for over a year putting together YAML 1.0, and we have
flipped it on it's syntactical head almost every week. We're a
fickle lot, we are. So use this at your own risk!!!

Why not just keep it simple, and put text files in a directory and name
them (so you can easily determine order via sort glob)

$year-$month-$day-$hh$mm-filename_safe_headline

and then in the file, make almost e-mail-like