Mailing List Archive

Introduction
Hi,

Jason (Jayce^) got back from OSCON and told me about the BOF and then I saw
the e-mail Philippe sent to the modperl list. I'm anxious to be involved!

As such, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Doran Barton, but I also
go by the moniker Fozz, Fozz Moo, or Fozziliny George Moo. I've been
writing code in Perl exclusively for seven years now. I was fully converted
to Perl from other languages when I was an I.T. intern for SGI/Cray
Research in 1997.

Since 1999 or so, I've been involved with dozens of different mod_perl
projects and have taught workshops through local users groups on Perl, web
development with Perl, and mod_perl.

Since 1998, I've operated a Linux/Web/Marketing consulting shop
(Iodynamics) in Utah with three other partners who are nowhere near as
technical as I am. We have done all our projects in mod_perl2 (and
mod_perl1 before that) for the last year or so and continue to find it is
amazing.

What can I do to help? Jayce^ said a lot of help is needed in the
documentation department. I can certainly help there. What else? General
advocacy? Someone should write a feature for SysAdmin or other publications
showing off the beauty and power of MP2.

Thanks.

--
fozz@iodynamics.com is Doran L. Barton, president, Iodynamics LLC
"Go soothingly on the grease road as there lurks the skid demon."

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:52:46 -0600
Doran Barton <fozz@iodynamics.com> wrote:

> What can I do to help? Jayce^ said a lot of help is needed in the
> documentation department. I can certainly help there. What else?
> General advocacy? Someone should write a feature for SysAdmin or other
> publications showing off the beauty and power of MP2.

I've sent in an article proposal to SysAdmin to do an article on
MP2. I've written a couple of articles for them in the past and some
of their offices are in my home town so I know some of the folks
there. It would be for the January issue on Open Source.

I'll let the list know if it is accepted. If it is accepted I may
be asking a few of you to give it a once over before I submit it to
make sure everything is peachy.

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Doran Barton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jason (Jayce^) got back from OSCON and told me about the BOF and then I saw
> the e-mail Philippe sent to the modperl list. I'm anxious to be involved!
>
> As such, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Doran Barton, but I also
> go by the moniker Fozz, Fozz Moo, or Fozziliny George Moo. I've been
> writing code in Perl exclusively for seven years now. I was fully converted
> to Perl from other languages when I was an I.T. intern for SGI/Cray
> Research in 1997.
>
> Since 1999 or so, I've been involved with dozens of different mod_perl
> projects and have taught workshops through local users groups on Perl, web
> development with Perl, and mod_perl.
>
> Since 1998, I've operated a Linux/Web/Marketing consulting shop
> (Iodynamics) in Utah with three other partners who are nowhere near as
> technical as I am. We have done all our projects in mod_perl2 (and
> mod_perl1 before that) for the last year or so and continue to find it is
> amazing.

Excellent. Welcome, Doran.

> What can I do to help? Jayce^ said a lot of help is needed in the
> documentation department. I can certainly help there. What else? General
> advocacy? Someone should write a feature for SysAdmin or other publications
> showing off the beauty and power of MP2.

Just listen to the ideas on the list and raise your hand when you want
to handle any of those. Of course initiatives are more than welcome.

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:52:46 -0600
> Doran Barton <fozz@iodynamics.com> wrote:
>

>>What can I do to help? Jayce^ said a lot of help is needed in the
>>documentation department. I can certainly help there. What else?
>>General advocacy? Someone should write a feature for SysAdmin or other
>>publications showing off the beauty and power of MP2.
>

> I've sent in an article proposal to SysAdmin to do an article on
> MP2. I've written a couple of articles for them in the past and some
> of their offices are in my home town so I know some of the folks
> there. It would be for the January issue on Open Source.
>
> I'll let the list know if it is accepted. If it is accepted I may
> be asking a few of you to give it a once over before I submit it to
> make sure everything is peachy.

As I've suggested at the BOF, an ad-hoc work won't be as successful as
something that's more co-ordinated.

Ideally, I'd love to see quick docs, with itemized lists of what do we
want to achieve, who owns those items, etc.

e.g. for articles, it'd be nice to have something like this:

Magazines:

- No contact at the moment:

o SysAdmin
- Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org> sent a proposal
o DrDobbs
- currently unwilling to have mp articles
o Linux Jrnl
- need to ask

- Active contacts:

o The Perl Review
- perrin writes a monthly column
o The Perl Magazine
- geoff is working on the Oct article
o perl.com
- stas is going to write the article for Sep 12.

- People willing to write articles/stories

o Perrin ...
o Philippe ...

The data is fake of course at the moment.

We create another file for PR efforts, etc.

What do you think? We put these files under cvs modperl-docs and we sync
the discussions here with these files. It's hard to understand what's
happening from emails, it's easier to track that via files.

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Jeff Bisbee wrote:
> * Stas Bekman (stas@stason.org) wrote:
>
>> o The Perl Magazine
>> - geoff is working on the Oct article
>

> Do you mean the Perl Journal? (I'm assuming yes...)

yes, sorry, as mentioned my example was all fake. Actual characters are
non-existing figures, and any resemblance with real people and objects
should be considered as an incidental coincidence :)

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Frank Wiles wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:52:46 -0600
>> Doran Barton <fozz@iodynamics.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What can I do to help? Jayce^ said a lot of help is needed in the
>>> documentation department. I can certainly help there. What else?
>>> General advocacy? Someone should write a feature for SysAdmin or other
>>> publications showing off the beauty and power of MP2.
>>

>> I've sent in an article proposal to SysAdmin to do an article on
>> MP2. I've written a couple of articles for them in the past and some
>> of their offices are in my home town so I know some of the folks
>> there. It would be for the January issue on Open Source.
>> I'll let the list know if it is accepted. If it is accepted I may
>> be asking a few of you to give it a once over before I submit it to
>> make sure everything is peachy.
>

> As I've suggested at the BOF, an ad-hoc work won't be as successful as
> something that's more co-ordinated.

Yup, we need strong coordination on this one.

> Ideally, I'd love to see quick docs, with itemized lists of what do we
> want to achieve, who owns those items, etc.

Yes, good idea.

> e.g. for articles, it'd be nice to have something like this:
>
> Magazines:
>
> - No contact at the moment:
>
> o SysAdmin
> - Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org> sent a proposal
> o DrDobbs
> - currently unwilling to have mp articles
> o Linux Jrnl
> - need to ask
>
> - Active contacts:
>
> o The Perl Review
> - perrin writes a monthly column
> o The Perl Magazine
> - geoff is working on the Oct article
> o perl.com
> - stas is going to write the article for Sep 12.
>
> - People willing to write articles/stories
>
> o Perrin ...
> o Philippe ...
>
> The data is fake of course at the moment.

I hope so, 'caus I don't know what article I am supposed to be writing.

> We create another file for PR efforts, etc.
>
> What do you think? We put these files under cvs modperl-docs and we
> sync the discussions here with these files.

Would we want those files to be publicly visible on the perl.apache.org
site as well (I wouldn't mind).

> It's hard to understand what's happening from emails, it's easier to
> track that via files.

Yup, wether we decide to simply use a few text files or POD files that
end up on the site as well,
I'd like to volounter as maintainer of that stuff once we agree
what/where we put the 'stuff'.

So, unless anybody strongly objects, I'll prepare an overview of what
has been said this week and
split it up in some sort of documents.
Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
[...]
>> What do you think? We put these files under cvs modperl-docs and we
>> sync the discussions here with these files.
>

> Would we want those files to be publicly visible on the perl.apache.org
> site as well (I wouldn't mind).

sure, since this list is public, there should be no reason why the
concolusions should be secret. it should be easy to have them in plain
pod, or text or whatever in the source and autogenerate files as all
other files on perl.apache.org. Or if people think that some sort of
kiki-miki is more efficient and creates less barriers (but potentially
bigger admin) overhead, that will work just as well.

>> It's hard to understand what's happening from emails, it's easier to
>> track that via files.
>

> Yup, wether we decide to simply use a few text files or POD files that
> end up on the site as well,
> I'd like to volounter as maintainer of that stuff once we agree
> what/where we put the 'stuff'.

It's possible to start maintaining things right away, and move later to
whatever format we decide upon. I think a plain text files (keep .txt to
DocSet will know to automatically convert those to html) is a good start.

> So, unless anybody strongly objects, I'll prepare an overview of what
> has been said this week and
> split it up in some sort of documents.

gozer++

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]

Stas> o SysAdmin
Stas> - Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org> sent a proposal

I write a bi-monthly column there.

Stas> o DrDobbs
Stas> - currently unwilling to have mp articles
Stas> o Linux Jrnl
Stas> - need to ask

Stas> - Active contacts:

Stas> o The Perl Review
Stas> - perrin writes a monthly column
Stas> o The Perl Magazine
Stas> - geoff is working on the Oct article

If this is "The Perl Journal", I write a monthly column there.

Stas> o perl.com
Stas> - stas is going to write the article for Sep 12.

And, "Linux Magazine" - monthly column.

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Stas> o SysAdmin
> Stas> - Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org> sent a proposal
>
> I write a bi-monthly column there.

> Stas> o The Perl Magazine
> Stas> - geoff is working on the Oct article
>
> If this is "The Perl Journal", I write a monthly column there.

> And, "Linux Magazine" - monthly column.

Ah, OK, I guess I shouldn't have used real names to mock up the
proposals format :)

So, Randal, what it'll take for you to start writing mod_perl columns?

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]

Stas> So, Randal, what it'll take for you to start writing mod_perl columns?

You mean, besides:

<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col03.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col17.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col26.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col28.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col33.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col36.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col60.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col61.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col18.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col24.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col32.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col41.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col47.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col48.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col49.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col50.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col54.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col55.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col57.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col58.html>
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col59wt.html>

? Or at least, these columns *mention* mod_perl. I try to get it in
where I can. If anyone, and I mean *anyone* has an idea, I have 2.5
colums to write every month. I'm there. I'll do it. Just feed me
the core idea.

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Stas> So, Randal, what it'll take for you to start writing mod_perl columns?
>
> You mean, besides:
>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col03.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col17.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col26.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col28.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col33.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col36.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col60.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col61.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col18.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col24.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col32.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col41.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col47.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col48.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col49.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col50.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col54.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col55.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col57.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col58.html>
> <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col59wt.html>
>
> ? Or at least, these columns *mention* mod_perl.

Excellent

> I try to get it in
> where I can. If anyone, and I mean *anyone* has an idea, I have 2.5
> colums to write every month. I'm there. I'll do it. Just feed me
> the core idea.

Philippe, please write down to send core files to Randal :)

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
Stas Bekman wrote:

>> I try to get it in
>> where I can. If anyone, and I mean *anyone* has an idea, I have 2.5
>> colums to write every month. I'm there. I'll do it. Just feed me
>> the core idea.
>

> Philippe, please write down to send core files to Randal :)

I mean 'core ideas' ;-)

Re: Introduction [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 20:42, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> If anyone, and I mean *anyone* has an idea, I have 2.5
> colums to write every month. I'm there. I'll do it. Just feed me
> the core idea.

Here are some ideas:

- Demonstrate the ability to write protocol handlers in mp2 by creating
a server that speaks something other than HTTP. The only trouble is,
I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where I would really
advise using a different protocol...

- Build a better DBD::Proxy by making it use XML-RPC or SOAP (or teach
mp2 to speak PlRPC with a protocol handler!) and talk to an
Apache::DBI-enabled server. This should be much faster than the current
system which doesn't use persistent connections, and would allow all the
standard apache logging and access control stuff to be used.

- Use an mp2 filter to do something that would have been impossible
before, like efficiently post-processing a PHP script (which also
demonstrates that PHP has no access to the apache API).

- Use an mp2 filter to apply an XSL transform to some XML content.

- Use an mp2 filter to automate some of the cache control suggestions
from Michael Radwin's OSCON talk:
http://public.yahoo.com/~radwin/talks/http-caching.htm

- Use an mp2 filter to implement cookie-less sessions by rewriting URLs
and adding hidden fields to forms.

- Write a handler that fetches content from CVS or Subversion, with the
branch to use being set by a cookie or URL param or virtualhost name.
This would be for content people working on version-controlled websites
to use.

If I think of more later, I'll post them.

- Perrin