Mailing List Archive

OSCON Advocacy BOF notes
Hi Everyone,

Here are the notes I took during the advocacy BOF at OSCON:

There was discussion about how it is difficult to get new
users because it is difficult to find mod_perl friendly
hosting providers. Except full hosted server or User Mode
Linux which still means they have to maintain an entire
server. Should we maybe have a "How to be a mod_perl web
host provdier?" HOWTO?

It was suggested that we advertise via google ad words.

Tie the majority of our PR campaign to the release of mp2

Randal said he would be willing to interview Ticketmaster
employees for a Linux Journal article.

News outlets to target:
Economist
CIO
New York Times

News on perl.apache.org???? It would give outside news
sites a way to easily find out what is happening with
mod_perl, but always having stale news wouldn't be good
either.

It was suggested that we have a better quickstart guide
for new users with stub handlers, stub apache configs,
etc. Maybe have a "run in place" installation for
people to try mod_perl.

Need to go after the managers and sysadmins as well as
the programmers. Because each has different concerns
that need to be addressed.

Need some PR related to sites that are switching from
Java, PHP, etc to mod_perl. Overture was suggested as
they are moving from Java to mod_perl.

We should focus on getting users in the door by showing
them the instant power of Apache::Registry as a stepping
stone to the full power of mod_perl.

We need someone to lead the PR push. To head up and
coordinate the campaign.

Need more numbers to show people in the press releases
such as number of sites, book sales, etc.

Need to find and/or use our existing contacts to get in
the door at certain news organizations.

We should use the weight of the Perl Foundation and the
Apache Foundation to help us in all of these areas.

Get money from companies using mod_perl to help with
the advocacy campaign such as Ticketmaster.

Need to get more articles in trade magazines in general.

Re: OSCON Advocacy BOF notes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 10:06, Frank Wiles wrote:
> Tie the majority of our PR campaign to the release of mp2

I don't know if anyone saw this in eWeek, but the recent Bricolage
review listed "only works with older version of apache" as a negative
for Bric. Since we can't fight ignorant reporters effectively, I am now
convinced of the important of an official mp2 release, even if we mark
it as beta for win32 and threaded MPMs.

It would be great to follow this up with a bunch of announcements like
"Bricolage/Mason/etc. now fully supported on mod_perl 2..."

> News on perl.apache.org???? It would give outside news
> sites a way to easily find out what is happening with
> mod_perl, but always having stale news wouldn't be good
> either.

I would like to start doing basic news with an RSS feed. I will handle
making the necessary additions to the doc generation code, collecting
tidbits from the mailing list, and being the person to send news to, but
I have to wait until I dig myself out a little bit at work.

> We should focus on getting users in the door by showing
> them the instant power of Apache::Registry as a stepping
> stone to the full power of mod_perl.

I have an article planned out for this about a conversion I did for a
client last year. I'm hoping to pitch it to Linux Journal or Dr.
Dobb's.

- Perrin

Re: OSCON Advocacy BOF notes [ In reply to ]
Frank Wiles wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Here are the notes I took during the advocacy BOF at OSCON:
>
> There was discussion about how it is difficult to get new
> users because it is difficult to find mod_perl friendly
> hosting providers. Except full hosted server or User Mode
> Linux which still means they have to maintain an entire
> server. Should we maybe have a "How to be a mod_perl web
> host provdier?" HOWTO?
>
> It was suggested that we advertise via google ad words.

Sadly, our budget is quite close to zero ;-) Unless some company that
loves and uses mod_perl and already runs ads thru google ad words
could be interested in donating some $$$ to something like this.

> Tie the majority of our PR campaign to the release of mp2

Yes, I think if we need focus around a PR campaign like this , the release
of the "long awaited" 2.0 version is a _very_ good idea.

> Randal said he would be willing to interview Ticketmaster
> employees for a Linux Journal article.

Ticketmaster would be a good place to interview people, but why stop
there ? I am sure there are plenty of people we could find with all sorts
of interesting interview possiblilties.

"I have been working here for n years, and we use mod_perl for x y and z,
yet our managers still believe we are running JSPs." is an example I
remember
having heard once ;-)

> News outlets to target:
> Economist
> CIO
> New York Times
>
> News on perl.apache.org???? It would give outside news
> sites a way to easily find out what is happening with
> mod_perl, but always having stale news wouldn't be good
> either.

Well, we could just make sure that there is space reserved for _recent_
news on the top of perl.apache.org, and post stories about articles posted,
releases, important changes, bug fixes, etc. As long as we cleanup after
ourselves and make sure not to keep the same stale news up there forever,
I think it's a good idea. Sometimes no news, just the regular site, and
sometimes
important news. RSS feed even ?

> It was suggested that we have a better quickstart guide
> for new users with stub handlers, stub apache configs,
> etc. Maybe have a "run in place" installation for
> people to try mod_perl.
>
> Need to go after the managers and sysadmins as well as
> the programmers. Because each has different concerns
> that need to be addressed.

Yes, and we also need to gather more information o nwhat those needs
and concerns _really_ are. I mean, I am so biased, I think mod_perl is the
solution to everything , lol. I am not quite sure what the SA where I work
hate the most about it for instance. I'll ask them shortly ;-)

> Need some PR related to sites that are switching from
> Java, PHP, etc to mod_perl. Overture was suggested as
> they are moving from Java to mod_perl.

Yes, an interesting field to open up is the process that some companies
went thru when chosing a technology. Remember when yahoo picked
php, the article about why they chose php was awesome. If we could
get similar ideas from people who did spend a significant amount of time
chosing their next platform and chosing mod_perl, it would be certainly
interesting.

And even getting stories (at least for ourselves) as to why mod_perl was
not chosen could help us focus development in different directions.

> We should focus on getting users in the door by showing
> them the instant power of Apache::Registry as a stepping
> stone to the full power of mod_perl.
>
> We need someone to lead the PR push. To head up and
> coordinate the campaign.
> Need more numbers to show people in the press releases
> such as number of sites, book sales,

Oh, that's for sure. More pretty graphs to look at is always good. Numbers
and graphs. We also need to realize the quantity of mod_perl powered systems
out there that are just not seen by netcraft and the like (X-Powered-by:
mod_perl anyone?)

> Need to find and/or use our existing contacts to get in
> the door at certain news organizations.

Yes, let's talk to the people we work with. Let's find out the kind of
combined
resources we can gather. There is got be at least one press agency that runs
mod_perl somewhere isn't it ?

> We should use the weight of the Perl Foundation and the
> Apache Foundation to help us in all of these areas.

Yes, and can we think of a point person for the Perl Foundation and
another person for the ASF to act as the bridge ?

> Get money from companies using mod_perl to help with
> the advocacy campaign such as Ticketmaster.

Money is always hard to get, but let's also ask for whatever resources
are available.

> Need to get more articles in trade magazines in general.

Need to get the string 'mod_perl' in the face of people more often.

Regular posting to slashdot, for instance.
Is mod_perl on freshmeat.net at all ?

Re: OSCON Advocacy BOF notes [ In reply to ]
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 10:06, Frank Wiles wrote:
>
>> Tie the majority of our PR campaign to the release of mp2
>

> I don't know if anyone saw this in eWeek, but the recent Bricolage
> review listed "only works with older version of apache" as a negative
> for Bric. Since we can't fight ignorant reporters effectively, I am now
> convinced of the important of an official mp2 release, even if we mark
> it as beta for win32 and threaded MPMs.

mp2 is not yet released neither because of win32 issues, nor because of
threaded mpms. There is still work to do. It is all listed in
modperl-2.0/todo/release, once that file is empty, we are good to go
with the release. It all depends on the availability of Geoff and
Philippe on how fast we can get it empty. Of course others can chime in
and help accomplish that earlier.

Releasing a knowingly broken software is not good.

Re: OSCON Advocacy BOF notes [ In reply to ]
Frank Wiles wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
[...]
Excellent work, Frank! I don't remember seeing you taking any notes at
the BOF. You must have an excellent memory to remember *all* that a week
later.

Re: OSCON Advocacy BOF notes [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:48:29 -0700
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

> Frank Wiles wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> [...]
> Excellent work, Frank! I don't remember seeing you taking any notes at
>
> the BOF. You must have an excellent memory to remember *all* that a
> week later.

hehehe thanks! While I may have an above average memory, truthfully I
was punching in the "cliff notes" version of the BOF into my Palm
phone. Just little things like "Randal to interview Ticketmaster" to
help spark my memory since I neglected to bring my laptop to the BOF.
:)

I then fleshed it out from memory an hour or so after the BOF and was
just waiting to post it once everyone had joined this list.