chat accounts, themes, status bar widgets, and so on. I'm guessing
these things all have a negative impact...

Has anyone done a study into the impact of these various things and
RAM usage? For example how much RAM can I spare if I don't use Modest
at all, or don't use chat accounts, etc. allowing me to weigh the cost
vs. benefit of using these features.

Thanks,
Paul
Re: Reducing N900 RAM usage [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I had the same experience. I bought a used N900 which was crawling, I
reflashed it and now it's much faster. I wouldn't say that
chat/main/MfE caused that because I have since then activated all
those features and the phone is still running very well.

I would be more inclined to blame the "slowliness" of the phone to
some nasty app (or deamon, o widget) that was eating processor/memory.
Sadly I didn't investigated the cause of the problem.. I wanted a
fresh system in my phone as fast as possible.

Lucas

"Oh no, not again."

- A bowl of petunias on its way to certain death.

Re: Reducing N900 RAM usage [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 March 2012, Paul Hartman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A freshly-flashed N900 is so much faster and more responsive compared
> to my N900 with all my favorite apps installed, mail accounts, MfE,
> chat accounts, themes, status bar widgets, and so on. I'm guessing
> these things all have a negative impact...
>
> Has anyone done a study into the impact of these various things and
> RAM usage? For example how much RAM can I spare if I don't use Modest
> at all, or don't use chat accounts, etc. allowing me to weigh the
> cost vs. benefit of using these features.

IIRC, Skype when I used it seemed to be about 5-10Meg impact on RSS.

In general, I'd imagine having any QT widgets would add 10-20M use. Not
so sure myself, I stopped using widgets entirely, not enough ram for
luxuries :)
Re: Reducing N900 RAM usage [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 03/18/2012 04:07 AM, ext Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2012, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> A freshly-flashed N900 is so much faster and more responsive compared
>> to my N900 with all my favorite apps installed, mail accounts, MfE,
>> chat accounts, themes, status bar widgets, and so on. I'm guessing
>> these things all have a negative impact...
>>
>> Has anyone done a study into the impact of these various things and
>> RAM usage? For example how much RAM can I spare if I don't use Modest
>> at all, or don't use chat accounts, etc. allowing me to weigh the
>> cost vs. benefit of using these features.
>
> IIRC, Skype when I used it seemed to be about 5-10Meg impact on RSS.
>
> In general, I'd imagine having any QT widgets would add 10-20M use. Not
> so sure myself, I stopped using widgets entirely, not enough ram for
> luxuries :)

You can use sp-endurance to measure and visualize usage of all system
resources.

I would recommend getting the latest version from here:
https://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-tools/sp-endurance

And the debian packaging from maemo-packaging branch and remove
the Harmattan specific "aegis" stuff from the debian/control file
before building the package.

The latest version has pretty nice graphing utilities.

Instructions on the use are here:

http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/guide/html/Developer_Library_Developing_for_Harmattan_Developer_tools_Performance_testing_tools_Using_sp-endurance-postproc.html
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/guide/html/Developer_Library_Developing_for_Harmattan_Developer_tools_Performance_testing_tools_Using_sp-endurance.html

They're about the same as for N900:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/devtools/maemo5/sp-endurance
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/devtools/maemo5/sp-endurance-postproc

Except for the new endurance_plot utility which generates the nice
graphs with gnuplot.

- Eero