Anglické nábřeží 13
301 50 Plzeň

Odesláno z mého telefonu Nokia N900 s linuxovým operačním systémem Maemo 5 Fremantle.
Re: Desktop widgets disappear [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 21 February 2012 17:15:22 Pavel Řezníček wrote:
> Hello my dear Maemo fellows,
>
> Once several days, most of the desktop widgets on my N900 just disappear.
>
> A reboot doesn't correct this (the widgets don't reappear again).
>
> I have to re-add them manually.
>
> When I re-add them, they persist after the reboot but only until the next
> accidental vanishing.
>
> What does cause this behaviour and how could I fix it?
>
> I look forward for your solutions.

Hi, when hildon-desktop (and other hildon-*) process is starting it check if
last time process exited normally. And of not hildon-desktop will disable all
plugins (e.g. widgets too) and reset configuration. I do not know how to fix
it...

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com
Re: Desktop widgets disappear [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Pavel Řezníček <cigydd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello my dear Maemo fellows,
>
> Once several days, most of the desktop widgets on my N900 just disappear.
>
> A reboot doesn't correct this (the widgets don't reappear again).
>
> I have to re-add them manually.
>
> When I re-add them, they persist after the reboot but only until the next
> accidental vanishing.
>
> What does cause this behaviour and how could I fix it?
>
> I look forward for your solutions.

Hi Pavel,

It's a response to a bug/crash in the desktop, possibly caused by
certain widgets. Desktop Clock, QNetMan, Currency Exchange are widgets
people claim will trigger this problem. I'm sure there are others.

Try to think if there was a widget you installed recently before this
problem happened and try to remove it. See if the problem goes away.

If you can't accept that, there are some scripts on a talk.maemo.org
thread about this problem that will restart the desktop and restore
your widgets so you don't have to reboot or re-add them manually.
Re: Desktop widgets disappear [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 21 February 2012 20:31:31 you wrote:
> [...]

It is possible. Maybe good way will be to patch hildon-* to do not reset
settings when time of 2 crashes is greater then some constant.

(ps: please sent copy of mail to mailinglist, not only to some people)

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com
Re: Desktop widgets disappear [ In reply to ]
> On Tuesday 21 February 2012 20:31:31 you wrote:

Yes, that's approximately what Paul Hartman suggests (he mentions some scripts to work it around).

> (ps: please sent copy of mail to mailinglist, not only to some people)

Excuse me everybody, I always forget to send a copy to the mailinglist…

--
Pavel Řezníček
Re: Desktop widgets disappear [ In reply to ]
> > Once several days, most of the desktop widgets on my N900 just
> > disappear.
> >
> > A reboot doesn't correct this (the widgets don't reappear again).
> >
> > I have to re-add them manually.
> >
> > When I re-add them, they persist after the reboot but only until the
> > next accidental vanishing.
> >
> > What does cause this behaviour and how could I fix it?
> >
> > I look forward for your solutions.
>
> Hi Pavel,
>
> It's a response to a bug/crash in the desktop, possibly caused by
> certain widgets. Desktop Clock, QNetMan, Currency Exchange are widgets
> people claim will trigger this problem. I'm sure there are others.
>
> Try to think if there was a widget you installed recently before this
> problem happened and try to remove it. See if the problem goes away.
>
> If you can't accept that, there are some scripts on a talk.maemo.org
> thread about this problem that will restart the desktop and restore
> your widgets so you don't have to reboot or re-add them manually.

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your response. It seems like a solution.
I can disable most of the widgets. I use many of them but only a few are
really necessary for me.
I don’t run those that you name but it’s pretty probable that some of
the widgets I use are just buggy.
The only widget I wish to keep is Dr. Launch. We shall see if it isn’t
the buggy one ;-)
So for the start, I’ll experiment and remove the widgets one by one.
Maybe I shall report my results for the benefit of everybody on this
mailing list.
--
Pavel Řezníček

vývojář a správce sítě
Farní sbor Českobratrské církve evangelické – Korandův sbor