Mailing List Archive

Troubles with Installation of Community SSU
Hi all,

I am a newcomer on this list, and recent user of the N900 handset.

I am trying myself at the installation of the Community SSU, but I am
not able to achieve it properly.

I am following the steps described at
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU#Installation

My installed firmware is "21.2011.38-1"
At step 3, I chose "testing" for the first time.

At step 4, I see the Application Manager running, however I don't have
any "Accept" or "Done" steps to click on.

I get a notification for 10 updates (libqtm-bearer, libqtm-contacts,
libqtm-...), then I guess it's time to proceed to step 5.

At step 5, I see no "Community SSU" icon in my apps menu.

So, I go to step 6 "manually", I see the "CSSU (testing)" repository is
within the repositories.
I proceed to the 10 updates but they are in conflicts with other packages.

After that, the "catalog settings" are empty, there is no repository
listed anymore.
I have either to reboot or wait for a long time before my repositories
get listed again in the catalog.

I then tried to restore my system to a previous state and perform the
install with "stable", but it behaves exactly the same, except for the
name of the "CSSU" repository which is not labelled "testing".

Can you see anything I am doing wrong ?
Or, do you have any hints to be able to see what's going on and what's
preventing the install ?

Thanks in advance,

Christophe S.

Re: Troubles with Installation of Community SSU [ In reply to ]
On 31/12/2011 15:46, Michael Rösch wrote:
> Am 30.12.2011 23:40, schrieb Christophe Schockaert:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I am a newcomer on this list, and recent user of the N900 handset.
> Hello and welcome!
Thank you :)
>> I am trying myself at the installation of the Community SSU, but I am
>> not able to achieve it properly.
>>
>> I am following the steps described at
>> http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU#Installation
>>
>> My installed firmware is "21.2011.38-1"
>> At step 3, I chose "testing" for the first time.
>>
>> At step 4, I see the Application Manager running, however I don't have
>> any "Accept" or "Done" steps to click on.
>>
>> I get a notification for 10 updates (libqtm-bearer, libqtm-contacts,
>> libqtm-...), then I guess it's time to proceed to step 5.
> Did you do this updates?
Yes. At least, I tried.... See below.
> I think the wiki page is a little vague in this point:
>
> "There are a series of installations for which it will prompt you with
> messages and warnings. Click "Accept" and "Done" for each to install."
>
> I think these are the conflicts you are mentioning in step 6- you must
> agree to install all of this packages.
Being not sure, I tried to go for the installation, but none of them
seems to be installed.
Basically, it says (I translate from my french terminal):
"Unable to update 'libqtm-bearer'. Conflict between application
packages. Continue installation ? [Details|No|Yes]"

Then the same for the next one, and so on until the last one:
'libqtm-versit', where the only option is "Details".

So, for each package, I can continue the installation but regarding each
package, the message means "package not installed". And, indeed, in the
end, when I "check for updates", it gives me the same list of 10 packages...
> Only if this is done there will be an Icon in the menu.
> If you do not have this it cannot work because of some scripts needed.
Well, if that's the step required to trigger the install, I am stucked
there !
> Sorry but my own installation was last year so I cannot remember the
> entire process.
>
> HTH and happy new year!
> CU Michael
Thank you for giving a try ;-)
And I wish you all a happy new year too !

Bye,
Christophe
Re: Troubles with Installation of Community SSU [ In reply to ]
Am 31.12.2011 21:46, schrieb Christophe Schockaert:

>> I think these are the conflicts you are mentioning in step 6- you must
>> agree to install all of this packages.
> Being not sure, I tried to go for the installation, but none of them
> seems to be installed.
> Basically, it says (I translate from my french terminal):
> "Unable to update 'libqtm-bearer'. Conflict between application
> packages. Continue installation ? [Details|No|Yes]"
>
> Then the same for the next one, and so on until the last one:
> 'libqtm-versit', where the only option is "Details".
>
> So, for each package, I can continue the installation but regarding each
> package, the message means "package not installed". And, indeed, in the
> end, when I "check for updates", it gives me the same list of 10
> packages...

I think that is the main reason for the failure because these packages
are crucial for the CSSU-Scripts I think.

Have you disabled all other repositories as it is pointed out in the
Wiki? Conflicts can only occur when another repository suggestst
another/newer version of related packages.

HTH and HAND!

CU Michael
--
Demons are a Ghouls best Friend.
Re: Troubles with Installation of Community SSU [ In reply to ]
On 01/01/2012 16:02, Michael Rösch wrote:
> Am 31.12.2011 21:46, schrieb Christophe Schockaert:
>> [...]
>> So, for each package, I can continue the installation but regarding each
>> package, the message means "package not installed". And, indeed, in the
>> end, when I "check for updates", it gives me the same list of 10
>> packages...
> I think that is the main reason for the failure because these packages
> are crucial for the CSSU-Scripts I think.
>
> Have you disabled all other repositories as it is pointed out in the
> Wiki? Conflicts can only occur when another repository suggestst
> another/newer version of related packages.
Yeah, I got it to work !
Thank you for pointing me that.
In the wiki, it says: " Make sure you have no too weird catalog settings
in Application manager, esp it's recommended you never disable the core
Nokia SSU repositories."
So I didn't touch any of my default repository settings at the first time.

When I disabled the "Ovi" repository, the CSSU-script went for
installation, as shown in a youtube video.
I didn't have that before !

As for the 10 packages that can't be updated, it's indeed the series
referred in the wiki as:
"There are a series of installations for which it will prompt you with
messages and warnings. Click "Accept" and "Done" for each to install."

Actually, there is a conflict because the version of the package to
install is the same as the one already installed.
For libqtm-bearer, e.g., we have:
- 1.0.2-maemo4+0m5+0cssu1 to install from the CSSU update
- 1.0.2-maemo4+0m5 already installed from Nokia repository

At the end, when the CSSU package gets installed, all 10 packages get
updated along, no conflicts are left.

Thank you very much for your help...
Now, I will gladly discover my N900 :)

BTW, what does "HAND" mean as you wrote below ?

Cheers,
Christophe

Re: Troubles with Installation of Community SSU [ In reply to ]
Am 02.01.2012 00:20, schrieb Christophe Schockaert:

> Thank you very much for your help...
> Now, I will gladly discover my N900 :)

Very glad that I could be a help for you.

> BTW, what does "HAND" mean as you wrote below ?

Have a nice day ;)

BTW: Please send responses primary to the list an CC to the author if
you want not the other way round- because your posts are not visible for
the other users if I not quote them.

CU Michael