Mailing List Archive

N800 Locking up regularly, even after reimage.
I have a N800 that locks up on a far too regular basis, even though I've
reflashed it several times.

I normally run with root on the internal SDHC card, to save wear and
tear on the internal flash & to have a larger rootfs to install more
stuff.

The symptoms are maddingly variable, yet consistent: the unit will be
working fine, then, I do "something" to cause it to change state, and it
locks up. Sometimes it's plugging the charger in. Sometimes it's
unlocking it. Sometimes it's just unblanking the screen. Sometimes it
will lock with 100% CPU, and no response to any keypresses or
touchscreen events, but the clock on the desktop keeps updating.
Sometimes it locks with the LED flashing. Sometimes it just dies. In no
cases is it possible to get it to shut down by any means other than
removing the battery.

Moreover, on a regular basis it screws the rootfs (EXT3), sometimes just
some minor issues a fsck will fix, sometimes totally borking it. I've
also noticed that there are enough differences between what the N800
calls ext3 and what my Maverick laptop thinks ext3 is that doing an fsck
on the laptop almost aways makes a mess of the card.

Has anybody else seen this? Would the new kernels in the Diablo Turbo
packages be worth applying?

Re: N800 Locking up regularly, even after reimage. [ In reply to ]
Am 10.03.2011 02:22, schrieb David Hagood:
> I have a N800 that locks up on a far too regular basis, even though I've
> reflashed it several times.
>
> I normally run with root on the internal SDHC card, to save wear and
> tear on the internal flash & to have a larger rootfs to install more
> stuff.

Installing more stuff is a good argument, while wear is not something
you should not have to worry about.

> The symptoms are maddingly variable, yet consistent: the unit will be
> working fine, then, I do "something" to cause it to change state, and it
> locks up. Sometimes it's plugging the charger in. Sometimes it's
> unlocking it. Sometimes it's just unblanking the screen. Sometimes it
> will lock with 100% CPU, and no response to any keypresses or
> touchscreen events, but the clock on the desktop keeps updating.
> Sometimes it locks with the LED flashing. Sometimes it just dies. In no
> cases is it possible to get it to shut down by any means other than
> removing the battery.

I would very much guess that this is caused by your rootfs on SD.
I can imagine many cases where a slight "waking up the SD too late" can
cause hickups on running system services and thus all kinds of random
badnesses.

> Moreover, on a regular basis it screws the rootfs (EXT3), sometimes just
> some minor issues a fsck will fix, sometimes totally borking it. I've
> also noticed that there are enough differences between what the N800
> calls ext3 and what my Maverick laptop thinks ext3 is that doing an fsck
> on the laptop almost aways makes a mess of the card.
>
> Has anybody else seen this? Would the new kernels in the Diablo Turbo
> packages be worth applying?

Have you probably also tried to use a different SD card? Maybe the card
is a little flaky - I had quite some by now too.

Cheers
nils

--
kernel concepts GbR Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48
Re: N800 Locking up regularly, even after reimage. [ In reply to ]

> Have you probably also tried to use a different SD card? Maybe the card
> is a little flaky - I had quite some by now too.
I have tried several cards, with repeatable results. So either all my
cards are bad, or there is some other problem.

Re: N800 Locking up regularly, even after reimage. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 16:28, <david.hagood@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have you probably also tried to use a different SD card? Maybe the card
>> is a little flaky - I had quite some by now too.
> I have tried several cards, with repeatable results. So either all my
> cards are bad, or there is some other problem.

Have you noticed if it locks when running from the internal flash ?
It maybe that the SD chip goes in stand-by to save power and when you
wake it up, it simply freezes 'cause you've got root on it (the kernel
may need something on the SD card to wake the SD chip or whatever and
it spins in deadlock.)

Try running from the internal flash and see what happens.
I'd suggest to leave the root stuff on the internal flash and see how
to move apps on the SD card.

Aniello