It starts. but I cannot connect to it.

Checking netstat there are no entry for port 5432 (postgress default)

Postgress does not show any errors starting.

I do it by:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -l mylog.log

Any Ideas on why this might be happening?

Has anyone try to install mysql or postgres on the n900?

f(t)
Re: Postgress on my N900 [ In reply to ]
Thanks valeri, I actually think I saw a post somewhere which stated that
some guy had his webserver and postgres running on a pentium 2 with 512 of
RAM total, so I think I should be able to run it well.

In fact the server starts perfectly and very quickly, and also I have ran
the initdb and all perfectly fine.

The only thing I don't see is it actually listening on the port

but there is no error so it might be listening on some other port.

f(t)

Re: Postgress on my N900 [ In reply to ]
Mighty you!

unless you specifically changed default port during configure/build time
or when starting, it should listen to its default port 5432. netstat is
tricky utility and sometimes it will not show ports though listened by
some process, but inaccessible due to firewall... I would try to use
telnet just locally (which will be the only way you will use it anyway)
like:

telnet localhost 5432

(to escape from connection press simultaneously "ctrl" and "]" keys - you
will be told about that when/if connection is successfully established).

Thanks.
Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247
Re: Postgress on my N900 [ In reply to ]
Wow!

This is a heavy weight one. I wouldn't dare to run it on pocked device...
But maybe I'm wrong.

My wild guess would be: you don't have enough RAM even to start it. To
check how much RAM it requires just to load into memory itself and its
arguments (and reserve space for data residing in RAM) you can run unix
command

size

(or its equivalent on maemo) on the binary. E.g., this is what I get for
postgresql on one of my servers:

size /usr/bin/postgres

text data bss dec hex filename
2974897 45216 415136 3435249 346af1 /usr/bin/postgres

which says that you need 3.44 MB just to start it successfully. You may
have to multiply that by the number of postgres processes (which I'm sure
is configurable) that you allowed to be started.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck!

Valeri

On Thu, February 3, 2011 2:59 pm, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> I have successfully built and installed postgres 9.2 on my N900
>
> It starts. but I cannot connect to it.
>
> Checking netstat there are no entry for port 5432 (postgress default)
>
> Postgress does not show any errors starting.
>
> I do it by:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -l mylog.log
>
> Any Ideas on why this might be happening?
>
> Has anyone try to install mysql or postgres on the n900?
>
> f(t)

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247
Re: Postgress on my N900 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 17:59 -0300, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> I have successfully built and installed postgres 9.2 on my N900

> It starts. but I cannot connect to it.

afaik, by default postgres listens to unix sockets only. You need to
tell it to listen to tcp/ip connections.

Check your postgresql.conf and the listen_addresses setting.
"If the list is empty, the server does not listen on any IP interface at
all, in which case only Unix-domain sockets can be used to connect to
it."

See:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/runtime-config-connection.html

All that blaablaa about not enough memory is just crap, imho. I used to
run my web+php+postgresql+mysql+mail+shell etc on much less powerfull
hardware than the N900 back in the day just fine.
There is much memory related that can be tuned for low-memory systems in
the postgres configuration. Check the documentation.

--
Kaj-Michael Lang <milang@tal.org>

Re: Postgress on my N900 [ In reply to ]
LOL thanks I did, had the localhost thing, but I think I need to put
in the ip for the network I am in. For instance when I am at the
office and am board, I could put the 192.168.0.126 as my ip address.

and then should work, I am about 3hs from getting to my office. I'll
try it today.

Thanks A lot.

Those of us who know what a AT, XT, or pentium 1 is... then we know it
should run perfectly fine for a test.

Also not to mention I have been using my N900 clocked to 1ghz for
months now, and it stood the test of compiling and linking pgsql for
almost an hour

f(t)

Re: Postgress on my N900 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those of us who know what a AT, XT, or pentium 1 is... then we know it
> should run perfectly fine for a test.
>
> Also not to mention I have been using my N900 clocked to 1ghz for
> months now, and it stood the test of compiling and linking pgsql for
> almost an hour

Oh yeah, I had XT, 8MHz "turbo mode", 640k of RAM, 10MB hard drive.
Compiling for hours on a large Turbo C program. Fun times. :)