sudo gainroot/chmod/... fails complaining about the permissions, the gui
package manager does so silently.
Can't mount the filesystem root offline on another device to chmod 0440
back (?), can't login as root locally, ssh to localhost seems to work but I
don't have the slightest idea about the root password.

Any way to avoid a reflash?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

Re: Permissions on /etc/sudoers messed up - reflash? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:

> I chmod 0640'ed /etc/sudoers on my N900 and closed the terminal -.-
> sudo gainroot/chmod/... fails complaining about the permissions, the gui
> package manager does so silently.
> Can't mount the filesystem root offline on another device to chmod 0440
> back (?), can't login as root locally, ssh to localhost seems to work but I
> don't have the slightest idea about the root password.
>
> Any way to avoid a reflash?

You can boot another system. For example Meego:

1. Download any u-boot image (for example the one from here:
http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/maemo/u-boot/u-boot.bin ) and flash it
(as a kernel):

flasher-3.5 -f -k u-boot.bin

2. Prepare a uSD card for meego according to instructions here:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC

3. Boot into meego, mount the N900 root filesystem (ubifs on mtd5), and
fix the problem

4. Reflash kernel by downloading the firmware image and using the
command

flasher-3.5 -f -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin --flash-only=kernel

--
Matan Ziv-Av. matan@svgalib.org

Re: Permissions on /etc/sudoers messed up - reflash? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Philipp Haselwarter
<philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> wrote:
> I chmod 0640'ed /etc/sudoers on my N900 and closed the terminal -.-
> sudo gainroot/chmod/... fails complaining about the permissions, the gui
> package manager does so silently.
> Can't mount the filesystem root offline on another device to chmod 0440
> back (?), can't login as root locally, ssh to localhost seems to work but I
> don't have the slightest idea about the root password.
>
> Any way to avoid a reflash?

The root password should be the one you created when you installed the
rootsh package. If you forgot it, then...

I have not tried it, but you might be able to use a rescue initrd like
the one described here to gain access to your rootfs:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Using_Rescue_Initrd

There are also a few things that could have helped, had you installed
them ahead of time, like backupmenu, or if you have NITdroid or MeeGo
in a dual-boot environment you might be able to use them to edit your
file permissions.

Good luck!
Re: Permissions on /etc/sudoers messed up - reflash? [ In reply to ]
Hi!

rootsh package does not modify root password, but openssh does.

Cheers, Tumi

Re: Permissions on /etc/sudoers messed up - reflash? [ In reply to ]
"PH" == Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com> writes:

PH> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Philipp Haselwarter
PH> <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I chmod 0640'ed /etc/sudoers on my N900 and closed the terminal -.-
>> sudo gainroot/chmod/... fails complaining about the permissions, the
>> gui package manager does so silently. Can't mount the filesystem
>> root offline on another device to chmod 0440 back (?), can't login as
>> root locally, ssh to localhost seems to work but I don't have the
>> slightest idea about the root password.
>>
>> Any way to avoid a reflash?

PH> The root password should be the one you created when you installed
PH> the rootsh package. If you forgot it, then...

...I'm kind of screwed, right.

PH> I have not tried it, but you might be able to use a rescue initrd
PH> like the one described here to gain access to your rootfs:
PH> http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Using_Rescue_Initrd

Got it booted, but it seems that the rescue initrd doesn't contain
chmod. Too bad.

Furthermore I had a really hard time with the keyboard;
the only keys I was able to use were [a-zA-Z<>], no dashes, no slashes
(the modifier key seems to just get ignored).
Maybe I could use the chmod on the rootfs? Still, if I can neither type
"-w" nor "440" that's no use.

PH> There are also a few things that could have helped, had you
PH> installed them ahead of time, like backupmenu, or if you have
PH> NITdroid or MeeGo in a dual-boot environment you might be able to
PH> use them to edit your file permissions.

PH> Good luck!

thanks!

--
Philipp Haselwarter

Re: Permissions on /etc/sudoers messed up - reflash? [ In reply to ]
"MZ" == Matan Ziv-Av <matan@svgalib.org> writes:
---8<---[snipped 11 lines]---8<---

MZ> You can boot another system. For example Meego:

MZ> 1. Download any u-boot image (for example the one from here:
MZ> http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/maemo/u-boot/u-boot.bin ) and flash it
MZ> (as a kernel):

MZ> flasher-3.5 -f -k u-boot.bin

MZ> 2. Prepare a uSD card for meego according to instructions here:
MZ> http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/MMC

Right now I'm trying to get someone to borrow me a microSD card that can
hold the image; the smallest one seems to be ~1.8GB and I only have a
1GB card.
Are there smaller images available that I missed?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

Re: Permissions on /etc/sudoers messed up - reflash? [ In reply to ]
To wrap it up:
Meego let me down, I finally reflashed.
The problem was the ubifs used on the maemo root. Couldn't get it mounted
in meego.
Most of the backup-restore worked fine, a bunch of apps are missing.

So, no way to access the rootfs without maemo; mission failed.

--
Philipp Haselwarter