Mailing List Archive

N900, problem with headset and headphones, tv out
Hi All,

I'm new here, a few days before I get a new N900 :D, but I tried to use the
original headphones and are not recognized (the sounds, the same happens
with others kinds of headphones, I use the original N900 headphones with my
MP3 player and works fine, another issue is that the TV-out cable isn't
recognized :s

In the *dmesg* output there's nothing about the headphone.

I tried *lshal -m* and plug/unplug the original headphone, another
headphone, tv out cable and nothing happens :(

I tried alsamixer -c0 and rise the the headphone volume but the headphones
not sounds... :(

As soon as I get the phone I upgraded to version 20.2010.36-2.002, so what
can I do, if there is a hardware problem, how can I could be complete sure
about this? Is usual to have hardware problems with the N900? :'(

Thanks for your time and help

Hector
Re: N900, problem with headset and headphones, tv out [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 13:32 -0500, Hector Barrios Molano wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new here, a few days before I get a new N900 :D, but I tried to
> use the original headphones and are not recognized (the sounds, the
> same happens with others kinds of headphones, I use the original N900
> headphones with my MP3 player and works fine, another issue is that
> the TV-out cable isn't recognized :s
>
> In the dmesg output there's nothing about the headphone.
>
> I tried lshal -m and plug/unplug the original headphone, another
> headphone, tv out cable and nothing happens :(
>
> I tried alsamixer -c0 and rise the the headphone volume but the
> headphones not sounds... :(
>
> As soon as I get the phone I upgraded to version 20.2010.36-2.002, so
> what can I do, if there is a hardware problem, how can I could be
> complete sure about this? Is usual to have hardware problems with the
> N900? :'(
>

> Thanks for your time and help
>

> Hector
This may be a long shot but are you sure you have pushed the plug in as
far as it can go? When I first got my N900 I thought the earphones
weren't working. But I didn't have the plug in all the way. Good luck.

Rick

Re: N900, problem with headset and headphones, tv out [ In reply to ]
Hi Rick,

I pushed the plug as far as it can go, and still is without recognized. :(

The Healtcheck app shows that the headphone is always disconnected, what can
I do?

Thanks,

Hector

Re: N900, problem with headset and headphones, tv out [ In reply to ]
Hi!

I've had the same problem with one pair of headphones (though not the
ones supplied with the N900). I found some notices on the web about this
being an issue with the latest version of Maemo (PR 1.3), however, I'm
not sure about the status of it. I am still trying to figure it out,
just as you. I'll post whatever I find about it, when I have time to
continue looking.

Best,

Magnus

Re: N900, problem with headset and headphones, tv out [ In reply to ]
Hi to all!

I talk with a guy that has a N900 too and he doesn't have these problems,
and his maemo version is the same as mine. So, could be any solution to my
problem?

thanks,

Hector

Re: N900, problem with headset and headphones, tv out [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On 1 December 2010 16:49, Hector Barrios Molano <hebm12@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi to all!
>
> I talk with a guy that has a N900 too and he doesn't have these problems,
> and his maemo version is the same as mine. So, could be any solution to my
> problem?

My bet is that this is a hardware problem. They aren't common with the
N900, but the audio/tv port is a mechanical part after all, and as
such there is a small chance that it is faulty. And your case, it
never worked, neither with (any) headphone, nor with the TV cable.
I would try to get a replacement unit.

Sorry -- this is probably not what you wanted to hear.
Christian
Re: N900, problem with headset and headphones, tv out [ In reply to ]
I would actually try taking it to a service center. The jack in question actually "sits" on pads on the board. It could be there's something on the pads, or that the jack is faulty. Either way, this particular part is easily repairable in most shops, not requiring a replacement.