Mailing List Archive

PR1.3 OTA update - overriding Nokia PC Suite prompt
PR1.3 variant 203 has finally landed in my App Manager, but when I try to
upgrade I get *"you must use Nokia PC Suite"* message and upgrade fails. How
to avoid this and carry on with OTA anyway? I presume it could be a matter
of some conflicting packages in the background - if so, how to determine
which packages are blocking PR1.3 update?

Here's what I've get when initiating dist-upgrade, if that's any help:

root@n900:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
mp-fremantle-203-pr
dsme-thermalobject-surface grep-gnu libmikmod2 libpyside0.3
libqt4-declarative libqt4-translations libqtm-publishsubscribe
libqtm-serviceframework libqtm-systeminfo libqtm-versit libshiboken0.3
nokiamaps-navigation-provider-settings-203 qtm-maemo-metapackage
python2.5-qt4-common
adobe-flashplayer [... lots lots of packages listed here ...]
1090 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 109MB of archives.
After this operation, 8757kB of additional disk space will be used.

Any tips appreciated.

--
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz * http://dawid.lorenz.co

null:// I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on disk somewhere
Re: PR1.3 OTA update - overriding Nokia PC Suite prompt [ In reply to ]
On 3 November 2010 16:11, Dawid Lorenz <dawid@lorenz.co> wrote:

> PR1.3 variant 203 has finally landed in my App Manager, but when I try to
> upgrade I get *"you must use Nokia PC Suite"* message and upgrade fails.
> How to avoid this and carry on with OTA anyway? I presume it could be a
> matter of some conflicting packages in the background - if so, how to
> determine which packages are blocking PR1.3 update?

Case is now closed. Turned out finding out conflicting packages was as
simple as tapping "Details" button in Maemo5 update in App Manager.

Re: PR1.3 OTA update - overriding Nokia PC Suite prompt [ In reply to ]
ext Dawid Lorenz <dawid@lorenz.co> writes:

> Case is now closed. Turned out finding out conflicting packages was as simple
> as tapping "Details" button in Maemo5 update in App Manager.

Ok! Another way to investigate this is to install the OS meta package
with apt-get:

apt-get install mp-fremantle-203-pr

This might be able to resolve the conflicts automatically, and it will
at least give you more hints.

The following might be outdated, but it used to be true at some point:

Apt-get dist-upgrade is a bit dangerous since we do not have a well
maintained base system in Maemo: For example, if there is a package
marked "Essential" in a repository, apt-get dist-upgrade will install
it, but that "Essential" flag is probably just inherited by accident
from Debian. This happens when you enable the SDK repo for example,
which contains the essential coreutils.