Mailing List Archive

mbarcode trouble
I can't figure out how to use mbarcode on my n900. I can save a photo
to a file, but can't see how to extract the ISBN number or such. I've
never had my own barcode reader before, so maybe just ignorant.

Installed packages:
mbarcode
mbarcode-plugin-ii
mbarcode-plugin-isbn
mbarcode-plugin-qrcode
mbarcode-plugin-webrequest
mbarcode-plugin-wifi
mbarcode-plugins-all

The only on-screen buttons I get are

* exit
* save
* history
* settings

I've run it from the command line, to see stderr/stdout ... can't see
anything wrong ... plugins are 'Loaded successfully'.

Thanks (again) for any help ...

Brian Keck

Re: mbarcode trouble [ In reply to ]
Did this happened after upgrading to PR1.3? If that's the case, updated plugins are already available to fix that problem.

Re: mbarcode trouble [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Brian Keck <bwkeck@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't figure out how to use mbarcode on my n900.  I can save a photo
> to a file, but can't see how to extract the ISBN number or such.  I've
> never had my own barcode reader before, so maybe just ignorant.

Open your camera lens, close the camera app if it auto-starts, then
run mbarcode. Aim it at a barcode.

The application has a lighter-colored window in the middle of the
screen with a red line in it. Be sure your barcode fits entirely in
the light area. If it is a one-dimensional barcode, align it so that
the red line goes all the way through the whole barcode. It should
automatically detect and decode the barcode at that point, taking you
to a new screen where it shows the content of the barcode, link to
google it, etc.

Depending on lighting/color of barcode/angle of camera etc. it can
sometimes take a while to read it, or not work at all, but in the vast
majority of times I've tried it will read the barcode withinin two or
three seconds.
Re: mbarcode trouble [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 23:25 +1100, Brian Keck wrote:
> I can't figure out how to use mbarcode on my n900. I can save a photo
> to a file, but can't see how to extract the ISBN number or such. I've
> never had my own barcode reader before, so maybe just ignorant.
>
> Installed packages:
> mbarcode
> mbarcode-plugin-ii
> mbarcode-plugin-isbn
> mbarcode-plugin-qrcode
> mbarcode-plugin-webrequest
> mbarcode-plugin-wifi
> mbarcode-plugins-all
>
> The only on-screen buttons I get are
>
> * exit
> * save
> * history
> * settings
>
> I've run it from the command line, to see stderr/stdout ... can't see
> anything wrong ... plugins are 'Loaded successfully'.
>
> Thanks (again) for any help ...
>
> Brian Keck

It took me a few tries to figure out how to scan. Start mbarcode, open
the camera lens, and close the camera program after it opens. Align the
N900 so that the barcode shows in the main viewing window. When you have
it reasonably large and centered, tap the viewing area once or twice to
cause mbarcode to focus. After a few seconds, the barcode numbers should
show up on the right hand side window. (I've never been able to do
anything with the bar code once it was captured! The only on-screen
buttons I see are scan and Open Image. I'm running PR1.3. I don't see
any settings for mbarcode. Maybe I need to install the plugins?)

Rick B.

Re: mbarcode trouble [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 15:21 -0400, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 23:25 +1100, Brian Keck wrote:
> > I can't figure out how to use mbarcode on my n900. I can save a photo
> > to a file, but can't see how to extract the ISBN number or such. I've
> > never had my own barcode reader before, so maybe just ignorant.
> >
> > Installed packages:
> > mbarcode
> > mbarcode-plugin-ii
> > mbarcode-plugin-isbn
> > mbarcode-plugin-qrcode
> > mbarcode-plugin-webrequest
> > mbarcode-plugin-wifi
> > mbarcode-plugins-all
> >
> > The only on-screen buttons I get are
> >
> > * exit
> > * save
> > * history
> > * settings
> >
> > I've run it from the command line, to see stderr/stdout ... can't see
> > anything wrong ... plugins are 'Loaded successfully'.
> >
> > Thanks (again) for any help ...
> >
> > Brian Keck
> >

> It took me a few tries to figure out how to scan. Start mbarcode, open
> the camera lens, and close the camera program after it opens. Align the
> N900 so that the barcode shows in the main viewing window. When you have
> it reasonably large and centered, tap the viewing area once or twice to
> cause mbarcode to focus. After a few seconds, the barcode numbers should
> show up on the right hand side window. (I've never been able to do
> anything with the bar code once it was captured! The only on-screen
> buttons I see are scan and Open Image. I'm running PR1.3. I don't see
> any settings for mbarcode. Maybe I need to install the plugins?)
>
> Rick B.

I only found two plugins (isbn and web request) and installed them. Now
mbarcode works differently with the red line. But it works fine and I
can search the output. Pretty neat.

Rick B.

Re: mbarcode trouble [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:33:49 +0200, Alejandro López wrote:
>Brian Keck wrote:
>>snip
>Did this happened after upgrading to PR1.3?

I've only had it 3 weeks ... don't know what PR is in it. (Have the
impression upgrading wipes your /etc & /usr/bin ... not attractive if
so.)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:05:50 CDT, Paul Hartman wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Brian Keck <bwkeck@gmail.com> wrote:
>>snip
>Open your camera lens, close the camera app if it auto-starts, then
>run mbarcode. Aim it at a barcode.
>The application has a lighter-colored window in the middle of the
>screen with a red line in it. Be sure your barcode fits entirely in
>the light area. If it is a one-dimensional barcode, align it so that
>the red line goes all the way through the whole barcode. It should
>automatically detect and decode the barcode at that point, taking you
>to a new screen where it shows the content of the barcode, link to
>google it, etc.
>Depending on lighting/color of barcode/angle of camera etc. it can
>sometimes take a while to read it, or not work at all, but in the vast
>majority of times I've tried it will read the barcode withinin two or
>three seconds.

Thanks ... that gives me the idea. Tried harder to hold it still &
tried a brighter light, but it just keeps scanning. Ie seems not
to recognize the scene as containing a barcode.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:21:04 EDT, "R. A. Bilonick" wrote:
>On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 23:25 +1100, Brian Keck wrote:
>>snip
>It took me a few tries to figure out how to scan. Start mbarcode, open
>the camera lens, and close the camera program after it opens. Align the
>N900 so that the barcode shows in the main viewing window. When you have
>it reasonably large and centered, tap the viewing area once or twice to
>cause mbarcode to focus. After a few seconds, the barcode numbers should
>show up on the right hand side window. (I've never been able to do
>anything with the bar code once it was captured! The only on-screen
>buttons I see are scan and Open Image. I'm running PR1.3. I don't see
>any settings for mbarcode. Maybe I need to install the plugins?)

Ditto.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:28:46 EDT, "R. A. Bilonick" wrote:
>On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 15:21 -0400, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
>>On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 23:25 +1100, Brian Keck wrote:
>>>snip
>>snip
>I only found two plugins (isbn and web request) and installed them. Now
>mbarcode works differently with the red line. But it works fine and I
>can search the output. Pretty neat.

Thanks for your help,
Brian Keck
Re: mbarcode trouble [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 20:52 +1100, Brian Keck wrote:
> >Did this happened after upgrading to PR1.3?
>
> I've only had it 3 weeks ... don't know what PR is in it. (Have the
> impression upgrading wipes your /etc & /usr/bin ... not attractive if
> so.)

OTA update does not (basically an apt-get upgrade), but backups is of
course always good to have.
All PR updates have gone fine for me. The only problem I've had was with
the first one as I didn't have enough free space on /.

But full flash erases more or less everything, but doing a
backup-flash-restore should work just fine.

--
Kaj-Michael Lang <milang@tal.org>

Re: mbarcode trouble [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:52:09 +1100, Brian Keck wrote:
>snip
>Thanks ... that gives me the idea. Tried harder to hold it still &
>tried a brighter light, but it just keeps scanning. Ie seems not
>to recognize the scene as containing a barcode.
>snip

Feel it my duty to the list to expose my silliness once more.
Works fine once I got my brain in gear ...

1) hold the n900 so that the red line within the box intersects the
whole width of the barcode (top & bottom of the barcode can be
outside the box ... guess it just scans along the red line)
2) press & hold the camera button till it switches to the 'results'
screen