Mailing List Archive

Browser goes to google search instead of going to URL ??
Dear Experts,

I was happy maemo user (since system 2008 on Nokia N810, and now I use
N900) till recently when I re-flashed my N900 device.

After I re-flashed the device with the latest system release, I have
noticed that I can not give the browser URL. Namely, instead of going to
the URL which I type in the location bar, the browser takes it as a search
string and does google search on it.

Does somebody know how can I make the browser do what the browser is
supposed to do when it is given a URL?

My complains about this behavior:

1. If I give the URL, I know what I'm doing, I don't need search, I do
want browser go to given URL.

2. I do not want my devise to visit google servers at all, I do use
different searching engine, and I have my reasons for that.

One more - off the topic - question: am I the only one who gets mad
because of this behavior of the web browser? Some time ago Unix sysadmins
were joking about Mac OS: "you need to trick it to do something you want".
Maemo - well, it's default web browser these days - seems to part Unix
like systems which do what you tell them to do and shifts towards the
"need to trick to do what you want it to do" systems.

Sorry about little rant. I guess, I was too pleased with maemo for too
long in the past...

Thanks for all your answers!

Sincerely yours,

Valeri