Mailing List Archive

Desktop icons disappeared after reboot
Hi,

I'm running PR 1.2 on my N900. I'm mainly using it as a mapping device.

Yesterday I replaced the battery. After the reboot, all desktop icons
(shortcuts, widgets) have disappeard except for some bookmarks I saved on the
desktop. Further, I now cannot add any desktop icons. When I'm in editing mode
and klick on the desktop menu, nothing happens. Additional reboots didn't cure
the problem.

I have not applied any changes to the system recently. I neither did install
or update any applications, not did I log in via ssh or fiddle around with a
root shell. Except for the extras repository I have not enabled any other
repo.

The outputs of mount respectively dmesg are here:
http://pastebin.com/e3u9Jbp4
http://pastebin.com/X5Biw3mB

As far as I can judge there's nothing suspicious in the outputs.

I'd prefer to repair the system instead of reflashing it. If anyone knows a
hint or can point me to a resource please do not hesitate to drop a line.

Thanks in advance,

ce
Re: Desktop icons disappeared after reboot [ In reply to ]
It happened once to me. I just rebooted the device and everything went back to normal.

HTH,
Alejandro.

Re: Desktop icons disappeared after reboot [ In reply to ]
Hi,

additional info: The battery drains, as the following application is
constantly eating 96% of my CPU and 11.4% of my memory:
/usr/bin/hildon-home

Pretty interesting.

--
Beste Grüße,
Best regards,

ce
Re: Desktop icons disappeared after reboot [ In reply to ]
Hi,

ext Christoph Eckert wrote:
> I'm running PR 1.2 on my N900. I'm mainly using it as a mapping device.
>
> Yesterday I replaced the battery. After the reboot, all desktop icons
> (shortcuts, widgets) have disappeard except for some bookmarks I saved on the
> desktop. Further, I now cannot add any desktop icons. When I'm in editing mode
> and klick on the desktop menu, nothing happens. Additional reboots didn't cure
> the problem.
> additional info: The battery drains, as the following application is
> constantly eating 96% of my CPU and 11.4% of my memory:
> /usr/bin/hildon-home

To me this sounds like hildon-home gets completely non-responsive after
it has (mostly) started up. Or do the bookmarks on Home still work?

> Pretty interesting.

One possibility is a bad applet. If you just kill -9 hildon-home, it
should skip all 3rd party applets on startup.

- Eero
Re: Desktop icons disappeared after reboot [ In reply to ]
Hi,

thanks for the helpful hints. I finally ended with reflashing the system, which
didn't cure the problem. But after reflashing the mmc also everything was fine
again.

I guess the system left some configuration stuff in the user folder which
hildon-home subsequently had difficulty to parse.

It's rather annoying if you have to reflash the device, but I can cope with
that easily. I have no clue though what an average user did in such a case.

A great device anyway. Have fun with it :) .

--
Beste Grüße,
Best regards,

ce