--
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz * http://dawid.lorenz.co

null:// I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on disk somewhere
Re: Lagging ambient light sensor and display backlight in N900 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Dawid Lorenz <dawid@lorenz.co> wrote:
> I've recently noticed that switching display back on after moving phone away
> from ear is preceded with considerable amount of lag, which makes every
> in-call interaction with device (hang up call, select a digit, switch
> speaker etc.) quite troublesome. I'm not sure what caused this, as I have an
> impression it used to work better before and display was getting back on
> quite quickly.
> Does anyone suffer from similar problem and have a clue how to improve that?
> Are there any ambient light sensor settings hidden somewhere deep under /etc
> or similar?

I think it's maybe the proximity sensor and not the ambient light
sensor. Or maybe the rotation control.

It sounds similar to the problem these people are talking about:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54556

I've rarely received a call on my N900 so I am not so experienced in
call-related bugs.
Re: Lagging ambient light sensor and display backlight in N900 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 15:29 +0100, Dawid Lorenz wrote:
> I've recently noticed that switching display back on after moving
> phone away from ear is preceded with considerable amount of lag, which
> makes every in-call interaction with device (hang up call, select a
> digit, switch speaker etc.) quite troublesome. I'm not sure what
> caused this, as I have an impression it used to work better before and
> display was getting back on quite quickly.

I think it's been done on purpose to avoid accidental pre-call
interaction when it's ringing and you get it out of your pocket, but I
may be wrong.

Xav

Re: Lagging ambient light sensor and display backlight in N900 [ In reply to ]
On 25 August 2010 16:01, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com<paul.hartman%2Bmaemo@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> I think it's maybe the proximity sensor and not the ambient light
> sensor. Or maybe the rotation control.
>
> It sounds similar to the problem these people are talking about:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=54556

Oh yes, you're right - proximity, not ambient light sensor. Me lame. :)
Thanks for posting link.

Re: Lagging ambient light sensor and display backlight in N900 [ In reply to ]
Dawid Lorenz <dawid@lorenz.co> writes:

> I've recently noticed that switching display back on after moving phone away
> from ear is preceded with considerable amount of lag, which makes every
> in-call interaction with device (hang up call, select a digit, switch
> speaker etc.) quite troublesome. I'm not sure what caused this, as I have an
> impression it used to work better before and display was getting back on
> quite quickly.
>
> Does anyone suffer from similar problem and have a clue how to improve that?
> Are there any ambient light sensor settings hidden somewhere deep under /etc
> or similar?

I've noticed it and find it very aggravating (in addition to the cases
you mention, there is the "see who's on call waiting" case). Would love
to know if there is a solution. I can't recall if it used to be better,
though.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://wjsullivan.net

Re: Lagging ambient light sensor and display backlight in N900 [ In reply to ]
John Sullivan wrote:
> Dawid Lorenz <dawid@lorenz.co> writes:
>
>> I've recently noticed that switching display back on after moving phone away
>> from ear is preceded with considerable amount of lag, which makes every
>> in-call interaction with device (hang up call, select a digit, switch
>> speaker etc.) quite troublesome. I'm not sure what caused this, as I have an
>> impression it used to work better before and display was getting back on
>> quite quickly.
>>
>> Does anyone suffer from similar problem and have a clue how to improve that?
>> Are there any ambient light sensor settings hidden somewhere deep under /etc
>> or similar?
>
> I've noticed it and find it very aggravating (in addition to the cases
> you mention, there is the "see who's on call waiting" case). Would love
> to know if there is a solution. I can't recall if it used to be better,
> though.

This is the solution:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60599

It worked for me as for many other people.

Alejandro.
Re: Lagging ambient light sensor and display backlight in N900 [ In reply to ]
2010/8/27 Alejandro López <listas.apl@gmail.com>

> This is the solution:
>
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60599
>
> It worked for me as for many other people.

Not for me, tough. I still sometimes suffer from noticeable lag when putting
device away from ear... :(

I was wondering whether there is some hacky way of changing proximity
sensor's sensitivity, perhaps?