Mailing List Archive

Protective case for N900
Has anybody bought one of these cases?

http://www.otterbox.com/nokia-cases/nokia-n900-cases/nokia-n900-commuter-series-case/

They look wonderful on the website, but are they really effective? Are buttons (i.e. volume, photo, power buttons, etc) still usable? Is the N900 still usable once wearing one of these? What about the size? Does it increase too much?

I received a low-quality case with my N900 and I ended up removing it as it was quite disturbing and useless, but so far my device has fallen twice and I don't want to wait until it breaks...

Thanks for any useful comment.
Alejandro.

Re: Protective case for N900 [ In reply to ]
> Has anybody bought one of these cases?

Yes, I have one for my N900.

> http://www.otterbox.com/nokia-cases/nokia-n900-cases/nokia-n900-commuter-series-case/
>
> They look wonderful on the website, but are they really effective?

Yes.

> Are buttons (i.e. volume, photo, power buttons, etc) still usable?

I was also concerned before I bought it. But yes, they still work.

> Is the N900 still usable once wearing one of these?
> What about the size? Does it increase too much?

It is already a thick phone. The case makes it thicker. It is a
drawback when compared
to the very thin Android and iPhone phones. But I do not see it as a problem.

> I received a low-quality case with my N900 and I ended up removing it as it was
> quite disturbing and useless, but so far my device has fallen twice and I don't
> want to wait until it breaks...

Exact reason why I got a case. I am pretty satisfied w/ the otter box.

Erik Hovland
erik@hovland.org
http://hovland.org/
Re: Protective case for N900 [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your answer Erik. Please find some more questions inline.

Erik Hovland wrote:
>> Has anybody bought one of these cases?
>
> Yes, I have one for my N900.

May I ask for how long have you had the case? How long is you experience with it?

>> http://www.otterbox.com/nokia-cases/nokia-n900-cases/nokia-n900-commuter-series-case/
>>
>> They look wonderful on the website, but are they really effective?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Are buttons (i.e. volume, photo, power buttons, etc) still usable?
>
> I was also concerned before I bought it. But yes, they still work.

Are they easily accessible? My previous case had holes for the buttons, so they were usable, but it was difficult to press the buttons because the fingers would get blocked by the borders of the holes, requiring the use of the nails.

>> Is the N900 still usable once wearing one of these?
>> What about the size? Does it increase too much?
>
> It is already a thick phone. The case makes it thicker. It is a
> drawback when compared
> to the very thin Android and iPhone phones. But I do not see it as a problem.

How much did it "grow"?

Alejandro.

Re: Protective case for N900 [ In reply to ]
> Thanks for your answer Erik. Please find some more questions inline.
>
> Erik Hovland wrote:
>>> Has anybody bought one of these cases?
>>
>> Yes, I have one for my N900.
>
> May I ask for how long have you had the case? How long is you experience with it?

I got the otter box the same time I received my N900. I have used it
for roughly 4 months.

>>> Are buttons (i.e. volume, photo, power buttons, etc) still usable?
>>
>> I was also concerned before I bought it. But yes, they still work.
>
> Are they easily accessible? My previous case had holes for the buttons, so they
> were usable, but it was difficult to press the buttons because the fingers would
> get blocked by the borders of the holes, requiring the use of the nails.

The buttons all work fine. The lock switch is a little hard to reach.
It requires me to
tilt my finger roughly diagonal to fit in the hole enough to reach it.
The headphone hole
just barely fits my headphone jack (I have a set of AKG cans). If the
headphone jack gets tilted
in any direction it kicks out and headphoned pauses what I am
listening to. This only
happens occasionally. These are my only nits w/ the case.

>>> Is the N900 still usable once wearing one of these?
>>> What about the size? Does it increase too much?
>>
>> It is already a thick phone. The case makes it thicker. It is a
>> drawback when compared
>> to the very thin Android and iPhone phones. But I do not see it as a problem.
>
> How much did it "grow"?

Since it adds a ridge on top and a ridge around the camera lens, I
would say that it is
sizable. Think about a quarter of an inch (.7cm) in thickness.

Erik Hovland
erik@hovland.org
http://hovland.org/
Re: Protective case for N900 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 15:55 +0200, Alejandro López wrote:
> Has anybody bought one of these cases?
>
> http://www.otterbox.com/nokia-cases/nokia-n900-cases/nokia-n900-commuter-series-case/
>
> They look wonderful on the website, but are they really effective? Are buttons (i.e. volume, photo, power buttons, etc) still usable? Is the N900 still usable once wearing one of these? What about the size? Does it increase too much?
>
> I received a low-quality case with my N900 and I ended up removing it as it was quite disturbing and useless, but so far my device has fallen twice and I don't want to wait until it breaks...
>
> Thanks for any useful comment.
> Alejandro.

I use one on my N900. It can be a little difficult removing the stylus
and moving the unlock button on the right side. With a little practice,
it's fine. All the other buttons work just fine. Also, it does not
interfere with the keyboard. I haven't felt the need to install the
protective clear screen.

I also keep the N900 w/Otterbox inside a small Lowepro black
(simulated?) leather Volta 20 case (~$15 at Walmart). It's almost a
perfect fit and fits in my pants pocket nicely.

Rick B.

Re: Protective case for N900 [ In reply to ]
Thanks to you an Erik. I just order mine.

Re: Protective case for N900 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 11:41 +0200, Alejandro López wrote:
> Thanks to you an Erik. I just order mine.
>
> R. A. Bilonick wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 15:55 +0200, Alejandro López wrote:
> >> Has anybody bought one of these cases?
> >>
> >> http://www.otterbox.com/nokia-cases/nokia-n900-cases/nokia-n900-commuter-series-case/
> >>
> >> They look wonderful on the website, but are they really effective? Are buttons (i.e. volume, photo, power buttons, etc) still usable? Is the N900 still usable once wearing one of these? What about the size? Does it increase too much?
> >>
> >> I received a low-quality case with my N900 and I ended up removing it as it was quite disturbing and useless, but so far my device has fallen twice and I don't want to wait until it breaks...
> >>
> >> Thanks for any useful comment.
> >> Alejandro.
> >

> > I use one on my N900. It can be a little difficult removing the stylus
> > and moving the unlock button on the right side. With a little practice,
> > it's fine. All the other buttons work just fine. Also, it does not
> > interfere with the keyboard. I haven't felt the need to install the
> > protective clear screen.
> >
> > I also keep the N900 w/Otterbox inside a small Lowepro black
> > (simulated?) leather Volta 20 case (~$15 at Walmart). It's almost a
> > perfect fit and fits in my pants pocket nicely.
> >
> > Rick B.
> >
> > ________

I think you will find that it is a nice case. It fits the N900
perfectly. I think it is just too easy to drop these devices. I can't
tell you how many times I've seen people drop their mp3 players at the
gym. The rubber lining inside the hard plastic shell I believe will help
absorb some of the energy. You can remove the bottom case when necessary
although it takes a little effort and practice. You start at the lower
left corner (near the micro usb port). It's a little more flexible at
that corner. I looked on-line at every case available for the N900
(including the Nokia one - although it is not available in the US).

I'd be interested in your observations once you install the the
Otterbox.

Rick B.

Re: Protective case for N900 [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 11:41 +0200, Alejandro López wrote:
> > Thanks to you an Erik. I just order mine.
> >
> > R. A. Bilonick wrote:

> > > I use one on my N900. It can be a little difficult removing the
> > > stylus and moving the unlock button on the right side. With a little
> > > practice, it's fine. All the other buttons work just fine. Also, it
> > > does not interfere with the keyboard. I haven't felt the need to
> > > install the protective clear screen.
> > >
> > > I also keep the N900 w/Otterbox inside a small Lowepro black
> > > (simulated?) leather    Volta 20 case (~$15 at Walmart). It's almost a
> > > perfect fit and fits in my pants pocket nicely.
> > >
> > > Rick B.
> > >
> > > ________
>
> I think you will find that it is a nice case. It fits the N900
> perfectly. I think it is just too easy to drop these devices. I can't
> tell you how many times I've seen people drop their mp3 players at the
> gym. The rubber lining inside the hard plastic shell I believe will help
> absorb some of the energy. You can remove the bottom case when necessary
> although it takes a little effort and practice. You start at the lower
> left corner (near the micro usb port). It's a little more flexible at
> that corner. I looked on-line at every case available for the N900
> (including the Nokia one - although it is not available in the US).
>

> I'd be interested in your observations once you install the the
> Otterbox.
>
> Rick B.

Friday noon I received the case. 72 hours to arrive to France since I ordered it.

My first impresions are good. It fits very well the N900 but not perfectly: the screen part moves slightly but it doesn't fall.

It seems to be quite strong although I haven't actualy tried it. :)

It's not water-proof and it's not suposed to be, but it includes silicone covers for the ports. However, the speakers are not covered (how could they?) so rain can still get in the device. I wonder if the covers are strong enough to not fall appart after some time.

The case includes buttons that press the actual buttons on the device. They work very well.

For the pencil and lock switch it has holes not easily accessibles, but as mentioned, they are usable.

So far so good.
Alejandro