Any other suggestion to get an IDE like or IDE to program with?

thanks,
f(t)
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Am 17.06.2010 18:16, schrieb Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail:
> Hi, I am trying to work with some syntax highlighting but cannot make it
> work.
>
> I created the .vim directory but I feel I am in the wrong track.
>

> Any body made it work?
>
> Any other suggestion to get an IDE like or IDE to program with?

I use the joe editor. It supports syntax highlighting. Its available in
extras-devel I think. Install it with "apt-get install joe".
It's shell only and not visible in the application manager. Maybe i
should fix this sometime... (I put it to extrax-devel)

--
Klaus Rotter * klaus at rotters dot de * www.rotters.de
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
yes

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
+1 for joe!

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 01:16:08PM -0300, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to work with some syntax highlighting but cannot make it
> work.
>
> I created the .vim directory but I feel I am in the wrong track.

Put

syntax on

into ~/.vimrc

> Any body made it work?

Yes.

> Any other suggestion to get an IDE like or IDE to program with?

Marius Gedminas
--
"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
-- Karl Lehenbauer
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
you voted twice!!!

Now I must check it up!!!

:-)

f(t)

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <
francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to work with some syntax highlighting but cannot make it
> work.
>
> I created the .vim directory but I feel I am in the wrong track.
>

> Any body made it work?
>
> Any other suggestion to get an IDE like or IDE to program with?

Mine works wonderfully. Are you calling vim by typing "vim" or "vi"? "vi" is
actually a symlink to busybox, so it's a very stripped-down version with no
syntax highlighting.

I did manage to add vim as an alternative for the 'vi' symlink, and now I
set it up by "update-alternatives --config vi" (as root):

Nokia-N900:~# update-alternatives --config vi

There are 2 alternatives which provide `vi'.

Selection Alternative
+ 1 /bin/busybox
* 2 /usr/bin/vim

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl - Yahoo: patolaaa
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
I have installed vim from the app-manager.

I have only one alternative:
sudo update-alternatives --config vi

There is only 1 program which provides vi
(/bin/busybox). Nothing to configure.

ok?

next. I open vi from a nice app link.

finally source command works, but I have to do it every time plus the
highlighting sucks for go lang.

will keep trying.

Gedit port?

f(t)

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
2010/6/18 Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com>

> I have installed vim from the app-manager.
>
> I have only one alternative:
> sudo update-alternatives --config vi

> There is only 1 program which provides vi
> (/bin/busybox). Nothing to configure.

Yes, as I said, I had to configure it manually:
update-alternatives --install vi vi /usr/bin/vim 0
ln -s /etc/alternatives/vi /usr/bin/vi

Best regards,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl - Yahoo: patolaaa
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Thanks Claudio.

Will this help me to auto detect .go files and highlight them?

I am not that familiar with vim. Would you recommend more cool configs?

f(t)
PS: 3AM here. sad... :-)

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
2010/6/18 Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com>

> Thanks Claudio.
>
> Will this help me to auto detect .go files and highlight them?
>
> I am not that familiar with vim. Would you recommend more cool configs?

Actually, not. The thing that would enable automatic syntax highlighting
would be that. Edit a file called ".vimrc" that should be in your home
directory (/home/user):

vi /home/user/.vimrc

It should have:
syntax on

Then save and quit. After that, vim will try to enable syntax highlighting
for every file you open. If it has syntax files for go, it would recognize
and highlight it automatically.

Note: vim is a very powerful and able text editor. I'd recommend some place
like http://www.vim.org to get acquainted to it. And it is very fit for
small keyboards like the N900 keyboard because it does not use many Ctrl-
and Alt- combinations.

Best regards,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl - Yahoo: patolaaa
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Do you kept your screen with the white backgound?

because I find that a lot of the highlighting done by Vim (awesome by
the way) is very light.

Colors like yellow and light blue, or lime, etc. Colors that seam to
expect a darker background.

May be gray?

f(t)
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Hi,

2010/6/21 Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com>:
> Do you kept your screen with the white backgound?
>
> because I find that a lot of the highlighting done by Vim (awesome by
> the way) is very light.
>
> Colors like yellow and light blue, or lime, etc. Colors that seam to
> expect a darker background.
>
> May be gray?

There are color themes for vim available, and some of them even
support 256 color terminals.

You'll find the entire list on
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script_search_results.php?keywords=&script_type=color+scheme&order_by=rating&direction=descending&search=search

There's everything from dark to bright background colors, low to high
contrast themes.

And yes, vim is a great editor that even has some IDE functionality,
such as folds, etc. :-)

Have fun!
Christian
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
2010/6/21 Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com>

> Do you kept your screen with the white backgound?
>
> because I find that a lot of the highlighting done by Vim (awesome by
> the way) is very light.
>
> Colors like yellow and light blue, or lime, etc. Colors that seam to
> expect a darker background.
>
> May be gray?

My background is dark and I set the following option on my ~/.vimrc:
set background=dark

Best regards,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl - Yahoo: patolaaa
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Thanks Christian, I'll try that up.

I already downloaded the pdf book from Steve Oualline, vim.org is a huge site.

regards,
f(t)

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Hi Claudio,

my .vimrc file is this
syntax on
set background=dark

something wrong?

first I wrote [background=dark] then when I restarted it told me it didn't
know what [background] was. And I put the [set] keyword before.

So, 2 conclusions:

1_ setting my .vimrc is working, because it error output me when I didn't
wrote it correctly.
2_ something else is missing.

f(t)

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
2010/6/21 Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com>

> Hi Claudio,
>
> my .vimrc file is this
> syntax on
> set background=dark
>
> something wrong?

No, seems OK to me. Can't understand why it's not working. Haven't you saved
the file with Windows-type formatting instead of Unix?

Best regards,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl - Yahoo: patolaaa
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Definitely there is something wrong with my installation.

even if I set background=dark from the command

:set background=dark
:set bg=dark
:set bg "dark"

it doesn't do anything.

What can I do?

I'm sure I have something missing or wrong.

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
Could it be that I don't an Environment-Variable or something like that?

f(t)

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 02:47:02AM -0300, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> Do you kept your screen with the white backgound?

Yes.

> because I find that a lot of the highlighting done by Vim (awesome by
> the way) is very light.

set background=light

> Colors like yellow and light blue, or lime, etc. Colors that seam to
> expect a darker background.

(I'm baffled by all the "set bg=dark" suggestions in this thread given
the information you supplied.)

Marius Gedminas
--
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem.
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
I'm so sorry, thank you so much for your reply but I don't seem to
understand.

Could you elaborate a bit more if is not a problem?

For what I understood of your comments is that, because of the default white
background in the N900's terminal,
the set bg should be light, instead of dark.

Being the setting to tell Vim:

My Background color is ligth, please don't use light colors in your fonts.

Instead of:

Please set the background color dark, so I can see your light fonts.

Is this correct?

Thanks again,
f(t)

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <
francisco.diaztrepat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Definitely there is something wrong with my installation.
>
> even if I set background=dark from the command
>
> :set background=dark
> :set bg=dark
> :set bg "dark"
>
> it doesn't do anything.
>
> What can I do?

Are you sure you're not using the "vi" shortcut from busybox? Are you trying
to run /usr/bin/vim directly? Try typing just "vi" (no arguments), it should
show the vim initial screen with "VIM - Vi IMproved" on the top.

Best regards,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl - Yahoo: patolaaa
Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
> Are you sure you're not using the "vi" shortcut from busybox?

I type vim, or some times the App-Shortcut/link/whatever that is was placed
in my applications panel with the Vim logo, after installing vim from the
appmanager.

> Are you trying to run /usr/bin/vim directly? Try typing just "vi" (no
> arguments), it should show the vim initial screen with "VIM - Vi IMproved"
> on the top.

In this particular post (or because of the hour). it is not clear to me what
do you mean. It appears to be a contradiction.

Anyways, the only difference I notice between Terminal >> type[vi]
and Terminal >> type[*vim*] is that when I type (i) to insert the word
INSERT is placed at the bottom of the screen between hyphens, and characters
are purple, and the screen (because I changed it for my terminal output) is
black.

*~ *
*~ *
*~ *
*~ -- INSERT -- *

Instead of

*~ *
*~** *
*~** *
*I No file 1/1 100%** *

*In None of them appears the splash screen, only the INSERT or EDIT words
for the modes. Instead of the I and nothing "" for the edit mode in regular
vi.*

I really don't know how what else to say, except please be patient.

I Installed vim from the app-manager, that places an icon in applications,
whether I hit that Icon or type the word [*vim*] in the Terminal
application, the first (purple letters) screen appears. I don't ever type
vi. And In the purple screen.

Should I uninstall it and re-install it by apt, should I download it from
the site vim.org, compile it?

Is there a configuration or filesys option that is required and I might not
have?

For instance I learn earlier that I couldn't execute Go (language) compiled
sources inside MyDocs/whateverDirectory, instead because of vfat I had to
copy the files (hellowworld sample) to the usr/bin and chmod from there to
run it. then deleted to keep my /usr/bin clean.

May be I am missing something. Again to have an overview:

PR.1.2
Vim Editor installed from Maemo App-Manager (I have here the Extas-Devel
catalog but I thing Vim was there before I added this catalog so no problem)
have ~/.vimrc with [syntax on, set background=dark] (*note: separated by
comma only here, not in real file*)
have ~/.vim/syntax/ directory
have ~/.vim/syntax/go.vim (syntax for Go language)
have ~/.vim/colors/ directory (testing midnight2 theme)
have ~/.vim/colors/midnight2.vim

Should I have any Environment Variables that indicate the location to my
~./vimrc to vim?

f(t)

Re: Vim - syntax highlighting [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 01:27:57PM -0300, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:
> I'm so sorry, thank you so much for your reply but I don't seem to
> understand.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit more if is not a problem?

No problem.

> For what I understood of your comments is that, because of the default white
> background in the N900's terminal,
> the set bg should be light, instead of dark.

Right. There's no way for vim to know your terminal background color
(sadly), so you have to tell it, by setting the 'bg' option. Then vim
will pick the appropriate color scheme with good contrast.

> Being the setting to tell Vim:
>
> My Background color is ligth, please don't use light colors in your fonts.

Exactly.

> Instead of:
>
> Please set the background color dark, so I can see your light fonts.
>
> Is this correct?

Yes.

Marius Gedminas
--
I'm a sorceress, not a miracle worker.
-- The Spellsong War by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.