Is this still the situation? I assume that if I am going to install
this version of scratchbox I should uninstall version 1.0.1 and then
install the older version 0.9.8.4 from source?

I am not a developer. I am interested to see what Maemo has to offer
by trying it out in the scratchbox in anticipation of Nokia's 770
being released soon. Will Maemo be updated to use scratchbox 1.0.1
soon?

Tony
maemo 1.0 only supports Scratchbox 0.9.8.4 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

In my personal opinion, you can continue using Scratchbox 1.0.1 since it works with that
mostly without problems, and if there are problems, there are workarounds for
them. For example I have had sometimes a problem that I can't use scp from inside
scratchbox, but the solution have been to edit /etc/passwd file inside scratchbox
so that you actually copy-paste the your username's line from your host machine's
/etc/passwd file and after that it have worked flawlessly.
I have been using Scratchbox >1.0 all the time, never used extensively 0.9.8.4.
I tried first the older versions, had a problems with them (actually they
did not work with my Suse Linux installation back then) but after switching to 1.0.1
(that I run on Ubuntu Breezy) I have never had any problems with the maemo environment
other than what I have mentioned above.
The versions greater than 1.0 are a lot more convenient to use than the earlier
versions, the sb-menu makes life a lot easier, it does everything automatically,
even extracts the rootstrap if you place the rootstrap to /scratchbox/packages directory.
You said you are a user - ok, but if you would be a developer, development done
under newer Scratchbox versions is compatible with the older versions allthough
to include the package to the maemo, the integrator may need to rerun the autogen.sh
of your package, otherwise there shouldn't be much problems.

I do not recommend downgrading your Scratchbox versions since you may run into
problems with the downgrade (if you do it wrongly, you may end up having problems
to get scratchbox working at all). Safer to keep the version you have now installed.

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal opinion based on my experience with Scratchbox 1.0.1
and someone else's opinion may and most likely will differ from that.

Best Regards,
Karoliina Salminen
karoliina.t.salminen AT NOKIA DOT COM

I went through the installation of scratchbox using their deb
repository on Ubuntu. After doing so I installed scratchbox 1.0.1 and
all went OK. After doing so I started on the installation of maemo
and there is a notice that reads...

"The current version, maemo 1.0 only supports Scratchbox 0.9.8.4.
Using the software with Scratchbox 1.0 may cause troubles, hence we do
not recommend it!"