Mailing List Archive

QtMobility 1.2 release/reorg in Extras
Hi,

Just to have it here, too: I submitted a brand spanking new version
of libqtm-12 to extras (1.2.0+git20111104-0nd~fremantle5, in
practice this is almost 1.2.1). Now, this is a completely differently
packaged
libqtm-12 as the previous one, so I fully expect some breakage
(reports of it welcome). On the flip side, the way I'm doing
things should make it possible for applications depending on it not
to trip over each other and avoid promotion deadlocks. This release
will also be the migration path for apps depending on libqtm-11, which I
will kill with fire in the not so distant future as it crossed the point
of no
return unmaintainability-wise (is that a word?) and are not completely
binary compatible with 1.2 anyway. The key message here is:

*DEPEND ON libqtm-12. DO NOT DEPEND ON SPECIFIC libqtm-12-* MODULES. DO
NOT DEPEND ON libqtm-11*

*Gritty details: the way HAM treats dependencies and the way we promote
packages is not suited for 'normally' packaged libraries in deb/rpm
repos, and
seems that is so old that it doesn't handle Replaces: properly, much
less Breaks:.
Therefore, all the libraries have been moved to one master package, so
that the incremental update/upgrade path can be maintained. Same applies
for the -dev package.

Best regards,
Attila Csipa
Re: QtMobility 1.2 release/reorg in Extras [ In reply to ]
Hi Attila,

2011/11/16 Attila Csipa <maemo@csipa.in.rs>:
> Just to have it here, too: I submitted a brand spanking new version
> of libqtm-12 to extras (1.2.0+git20111104-0nd~fremantle5, in
> practice this is almost 1.2.1). Now, this is a completely differently
> packaged
> libqtm-12 as the previous one, so I fully expect some breakage
> (reports of it welcome).

Thanks for keeping things sane in the Maemo world :) So, does this
still need to use addImportPath and addPluginPath as described on the
following wiki page?

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Latest_Qt_and_Qt_mobility_evaluation_on_Maemo

Is there any way to make this even more seamless, so that developers
targetting Harmattan primarily can easily "backport" their Qt Mobility
1.2-using apps to Maemo 5 without having to add all these specialities
(which they might not even know about if they don't come from a Maemo
background).

Thanks,
Thomas
Re: QtMobility 1.2 release/reorg in Extras [ In reply to ]
On 16-Nov-11 12:22, Thomas Perl wrote:
> 2011/11/16 Attila Csipa<maemo@csipa.in.rs>:
>> Just to have it here, too: I submitted a brand spanking new version
>> of libqtm-12 to extras (1.2.0+git20111104-0nd~fremantle5, in
>> practice this is almost 1.2.1). Now, this is a completely differently
>> packaged
>> libqtm-12 as the previous one, so I fully expect some breakage
>> (reports of it welcome).
> Thanks for keeping things sane in the Maemo world :) So, does this
> still need to use addImportPath and addPluginPath as described on the
> following wiki page?
>
> http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Latest_Qt_and_Qt_mobility_evaluation_on_Maemo
>
> Is there any way to make this even more seamless, so that developers
> targetting Harmattan primarily can easily "backport" their Qt Mobility
> 1.2-using apps to Maemo 5 without having to add all these specialities
> (which they might not even know about if they don't come from a Maemo
> background).

Yes, it still needs those as those paths are hard-coded in Qt, and we
can't (well, shouldn't) overlap the mobility 1.0.2 plugins. Now, there
is an alternative, specifying the paths through envvars, but that means
that again the .desktop file would need to be changed, so back to square
one...

Best regards,
Attila Csipa