Mailing List Archive

browserd (aka tablet-browser-daemon) is now open source
I have taken the old browserd source code at
http://vcs.maemo.org/svn/browser/client-server/trunk/server/ and come up
with a set of code that is functionally identical to the N900 browserd.

http://www.cncmods.net/files/tablet-browser-daemon_0.6.3-3.1+0m5.zip
contains the modified code, its made to be as close to the (closed source)
Nokia version as possible.
You will also need
http://www.cncmods.net/files/microb-eal-dev_2.9.5-1.23+0m5_armel.deb
(compiled from the Fremantle microb-eal package)

Also of value is
http://www.cncmods.net/files/browser-neteal-dev-0.7.10.1-2+0m5.zip and
http://www.cncmods.net/files/browser-neteal-dev_0.7.10.1-2+0m5_all.deb
which lets you talk to the browserd daemon in the same way as the stock web
browser. http://www.cncmods.net/files/eal-client.c is an example source
file showing how to use it.

With this browserd source code, there is nothing (other than time/interest
from people with the right skills) stopping someone (e.g. CSSU) porting a
more recent Gecko version to Maemo5.

I am currently considering cloning the browser-neteal package (the UI
packages like tablet-browser-view are too complicated to clone and the code
in the old repos is useless for the purpose)

I am also considering cloning the tutorial/getting started applet so it can
be used as an example of how to use browser-neteal and possibly also
something that could be made into a "flash launcher" (i.e. pass it the URL
or filename of a .swf file and it will show/play that flash file)
Re: browserd (aka tablet-browser-daemon) is now open source [ In reply to ]
On Friday, November 04, 2011 06:52:45 PM Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> I have taken the old browserd source code at
> http://vcs.maemo.org/svn/browser/client-server/trunk/server/ and come up
> with a set of code that is functionally identical to the N900 browserd.

Wow! Thank you!