Mailing List Archive

announcing libconnui-dev-0.1 and operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1
I have just released libconnui-dev-0.1 and operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1
they can be found at http://www.cncmods.net/files/libconnui-dev-0.1.zip and
http://www.cncmods.net/files/operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1.zip

libconnui-dev-0.1 is a set of reverse-engineered declarations for the
closed-source libconnui and libconnui_cell libraries (which are used for
various things by connectivity status bar widgets, control panels and other
things). I tried to reverse engineer as many of the "interesting-looking"
functions as possible.
Obviously not all of them are tested yet (I dont particularly want to test
connui_cell_emergency_call for example although
connui_cell_emergency_get_numbers works :) but I tested a few of the ones
that were easy to test. Some of them are also being used by
operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1.

To install libconnui-dev-0.1 you need to copy libconnui.so.0.0.0 and
libconnui_cell.so.0.0.0 from your phone into the /usr/lib of your
scratchbox target.
Then you need to unzip libconnui.zip into the scratchbox target location
(so that the files end up in /usr/include/* and /usr/lib/*)
Then you go to /usr/lib and do these commands:
ln -s libconnui.so.0.0.0 libconnui.so.0
ln -s libconnui.so.0 libconnui.so
ln -s libconnui_cell.so.0.0.0 libconnui_cell.so.0
ln -s libconnui_cell.so.0 libconnui_cell.so

To use it, just pass libconnui-dev to pkg-config to get the right
include/lib paths and libraries.
Then #include <libconnui.h> in your code.

operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1 is a replacement for the standard operator
name home screen widget. It displays the operator name using an algorithim
that is almost identical to the stock nokia algorithim (it doesn't handle
some extra data related to roaming, I am still working on figuring out what
the nokia code is doing). It also displays any cell broadcast SMS messages
it recieves on channel 50 (i.e. the cell tower name, if the tower sends
one) alongside the operator name. (although I plan to make the tower name
display optional via an option in the currently-empty control panel). You
will need the libconnui-dev stuff set up if you want to compile
operator-name-cbs-widget.

If anyone has any feedback on my code (or if you have found bugs in it)
please let me know so I can make my code better :)
If anyone starts playing with or using libconnui-dev, I would also be
interested to know.

Oh and if anyone wants a precompiled .deb of operator-name-cbs-widget, let
me know and I will make one available.
Re: announcing libconnui-dev-0.1 and operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1 [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> If anyone has any feedback on my code (or if you have found bugs in it)
> please let me know so I can make my code better :)
> If anyone starts playing with or using libconnui-dev, I would also be
> interested to know.

While I find your work very interesting I keep coming back to one
question in my mind:

What are you developing this for? Just to provide an open source
alternative to the closed source libs?
Re: announcing libconnui-dev-0.1 and operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1 [ In reply to ]
Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>> If anyone has any feedback on my code (or if you have found bugs in it)
>> please let me know so I can make my code better :)
>> If anyone starts playing with or using libconnui-dev, I would also be
>> interested to know.
>
> While I find your work very interesting I keep coming back to one question
> in my mind:
>
> What are you developing this for? Just to provide an open source
> alternative to the closed source libs?
Its a set of header files to allow developers to use the functionality
inside these closed-source libraries, some of the functionality seems
useful to me (bits of functionality are being used in
operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1) and I am guessing other devs may also like it.

I am not planning to clone these libraries as the Nokia versions work just
fine.
Re: announcing libconnui-dev-0.1 and operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1 [ In reply to ]
At Sat, 29 Oct 2011 01:25:30 +0800,
Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> Its a set of header files to allow developers to use the functionality
> inside these closed-source libraries, some of the functionality seems
> useful to me (bits of functionality are being used in
> operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1) and I am guessing other devs may also like it.

As far as I can tell, your code is under the GPLv2 or later. If that
code is using a GPL-incompatible library, you've got a problem.

Neal
Re: announcing libconnui-dev-0.1 and operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1 [ In reply to ]
2011/10/28 Neal H. Walfield <neal@walfield.org>:
> As far as I can tell, your code is under the GPLv2 or later.  If that
> code is using a GPL-incompatible library, you've got a problem.
Hmm,
GPL code can dynamically use GPL-incompatible libraries legally. Think
about GPL game using (closed source) DirectX.
Or GPL QT-application running on Windows.

-Aapo Rantalainen
Re: announcing libconnui-dev-0.1 and operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1 [ In reply to ]
At Fri, 28 Oct 2011 21:24:06 +0300,
Aapo Rantalainen wrote:

> 2011/10/28 Neal H. Walfield <neal@walfield.org>:
> > As far as I can tell, your code is under the GPLv2 or later.  If that
> > code is using a GPL-incompatible library, you've got a problem.
> Hmm,
> GPL code can dynamically use GPL-incompatible libraries legally. Think
> about GPL game using (closed source) DirectX.
> Or GPL QT-application running on Windows.

Running on Windows is not a problem: if you just make system calls or
perform an IPC, you haven't created a derivative work. If you mean a
program that uses essential system libraries, that use falls under the
system library exception:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

I don't know if DirectX would be included by this exception (I don't
know how Direct X works).

Perahps the use of libconnui would be covered by this exception.

Neal