file and run the cbspatch binary

I suspect also I need more in the postinst file in terms of verifying the
correct binary and things, any help would be appreciated.
Re: Looking for some help with autoconf/automake/dpkg (and general feedback on my code) [ In reply to ]
At least debian/install is missing in debianization of a package
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html#install

Thanks, Daniil

Re: Looking for some help with autoconf/automake/dpkg (and general feedback on my code) [ In reply to ]
At Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:07:13 +0800,
Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> I have uploaded my code and files to
> http://www.cncmods.net/files/operator-name-cbs-widget-0.1.zip
>
> I am looking for general feedback on this code and packaging but
> specifically I am having problems getting it to create, include in the .deb
> file and run the cbspatch binary

I find cdbs to be very easy to use. This will likely be enough for
your debian/rules file (it works for my autoconf-based project):

#!/usr/bin/make -f

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/autotools.mk

Check out

http://hssl.cs.jhu.edu/~neal/woodchuck/src/branches/master/#files:debian

> I suspect also I need more in the postinst file in terms of verifying the
> correct binary and things, any help would be appreciated.

I'd check the md5sum of the binary, particularly as cbspatch doesn't
check for any signatures.

Also, cbspatch does not return 0, so your postinst script might fail
spuriously.

Neal

Re: Looking for some help with autoconf/automake/dpkg (and general feedback on my code) [ In reply to ]
Daniil Ivanov wrote:
> At least debian/install is missing in debianization of a package
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dother.en.html#install
Thanks, that's a start. Still cant get it to even produce a cbspatch binary
though.

Re: Looking for some help with autoconf/automake/dpkg (and general feedback on my code) [ In reply to ]
I second proposition to use CBDS instead of debhelper directly.

Thanks, Daniil

Re: Looking for some help with autoconf/automake/dpkg (and general feedback on my code) [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> I suspect also I need more in the postinst file in terms of verifying the
> correct binary and things, any help would be appreciated.

You should never modify a binary in place. Instead, copy the binary,
modify it and then atomically replace it using mv. If a binary is in
use by a program and not all of it is loaded in memory and you modify
it, it may end up using neither the original nor the new version but
some inconsistent one...

Neal