and the reality of tomorrow. Fax: 0271-771091-19
[Robert Hutchings Goddard, 1904] florian.boor@kernelconcepts.de

6C 44 30 4C 43 20 6B 61 16 07 0F AA E6 97 70 A8
GTK stock icon theme [ In reply to ]
Hi,

ext Florian Boor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> let's start to use the mailinglist :-)
>
> I'm currently porting plain GTK applications to Maemo and wonder why current SDK
> still uses default GTK stock icons in its theme.

We don't use stock icons in Sputnik because:
- Gtk stock icons sizes are wrong for us
- Stock icons make application startup slower. RC file parsing was by
far taking most time in application startup and stock icon parsing
was 1/4 of that although in lines the >500 stock icon declararation
were only 10% of the lines in the RC files.
- It adds more dependencies to the integration process (RC files are in
theme packages and would need to be synched both with the icon list
document and icon package)
- It would require creating a dimmed version of all the icons by
the gfx subcontractor (or at least allow that, I'm not 100% sure
which way it is :-))

> Having the stock icons themed it is much less work to integrate
> (and maintain) applications.

This would require OSSO to:
- Use Gtk stock icon names. All our specification use icon names
inherited from the s90 (Symbian) spec. It would be major work to
map the names to new ones in all the specs (they are mentioned in
all the UI specs + icon list doc), gfx deliverables and code
- Make sure that things (names) we need to be added to the Gtk stock
icons names are added there (in Open Source)

Or were you suggesting that we would support both OSSO icons and Gtk
icons separately? This would increase the footprint somewhat...

> Another important reason to do this is
> the fact that you maybe want to switch to a different theme on the fly
> which is much easier using a stock icon theme.

They would need to be of correct size i.e. the icons would need to be
created specifically for the device icon sizes. If icons would be
resized using bilinear scaling, that is *very* slow for things like
Control Panel which shows a lot of them.

> So are there plans to have this in near future?

At least they are not used for the Sputnik device.

Maybe later there could be "compatibility" icons for non-modified Gtk
programs as well as skinning for Gtk widgets that were not used in
Sputnik.

For later devices, I think the specifications & communication about
their changes are the major bottleneck, not the actual implementation.
:-)

- Eero
GTK stock icon theme [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Eero Tamminen wrote:

> We don't use stock icons in Sputnik because:
> - Gtk stock icons sizes are wrong for us

I guess that would be easy to change in GTK. I don't think you will ever intend
to use the original icons, so you'd only need to chage the size and replace the
bitmaps.

> - Stock icons make application startup slower. RC file parsing was by
> far taking most time in application startup and stock icon parsing
> was 1/4 of that although in lines the >500 stock icon declararation
> were only 10% of the lines in the RC files.

Okay... i didn't want to go that far, the basic idea was just to have correct
Maemo stock icons instead of the default ones to make porting the applications
easier.

> Or were you suggesting that we would support both OSSO icons and Gtk
> icons separately? This would increase the footprint somewhat...

No... just to replace the GTk stock icons by the icons used by the Maemo theme.

> They would need to be of correct size i.e. the icons would need to be
> created specifically for the device icon sizes. If icons would be
> resized using bilinear scaling, that is *very* slow for things like
> Control Panel which shows a lot of them.

Yes right... i see, but if you only ship a correct set of icons for GTK default
theme there is no need to do this.

> For later devices, I think the specifications & communication about
> their changes are the major bottleneck, not the actual implementation.
> :-)

:-)

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday Florian Boor
is the hope of today Tel: 0271-771091-14