Hi,

I've got an error while loading module after a good compilation of the
package.

Does someone know where could be the problem ?

I must tell that my kernel is compiled with all NetFilter Stuff.

Thanks for all your help.

--
Lifo.
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Sebastien COUREAU wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got an error while loading module after a good compilation of the
> package.
>
> Does someone know where could be the problem ?

No! May be! You didn't patched the kernel with the ksym patch.
The README file will help you.

> I must tell that my kernel is compiled with all NetFilter Stuff.

What is the message? What is the LVS version? I successfully load
ip_vs.o in Linux 2.4.0 but with the netfilter compiled as modules.

> Thanks for all your help.
>
> --
> Lifo.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
> > I've got an error while loading module after a good compilation of the
> > package.
> >
> > Does someone know where could be the problem ?
>
> No! May be! You didn't patched the kernel with the ksym patch.
> The README file will help you.

Yes the kernel had been correctly patched.

> What is the message? What is the LVS version? I successfully load
> ip_vs.o in Linux 2.4.0 but with the netfilter compiled as modules.

LVS version 0.1.2
Netfilter stuff is in the kernel, not in modules.
The error is
rmmod ip_vs
rmmod: module ip_vs not loaded
make: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
insmod ip_vs.o
ip_vs.o: unresolved symbol buffermem_pages
ip_vs.o: unresolved symbol nr_free_pages
ip_vs.o: unresolved symbol page_cache_size
make: *** [install] Error 1

And when try to launch ipvsadm:
Could not open the /proc/net/ip_vs file
Are you sure that IP Virtual Server is supported by the kernel?

I've not seen anything in the kernel configuration relative to LVS.

--
Lifo.
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Sebastien COUREAU wrote:

> > No! May be! You didn't patched the kernel with the ksym patch.
> > The README file will help you.
>
> Yes the kernel had been correctly patched.
>
> > What is the message? What is the LVS version? I successfully load
> > ip_vs.o in Linux 2.4.0 but with the netfilter compiled as modules.
>
> LVS version 0.1.2
> Netfilter stuff is in the kernel, not in modules.
> The error is
> rmmod ip_vs
> rmmod: module ip_vs not loaded
> make: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
> insmod ip_vs.o
> ip_vs.o: unresolved symbol buffermem_pages
> ip_vs.o: unresolved symbol nr_free_pages
> ip_vs.o: unresolved symbol page_cache_size
> make: *** [install] Error 1
>

> And when try to launch ipvsadm:
> Could not open the /proc/net/ip_vs file
> Are you sure that IP Virtual Server is supported by the kernel?
>
> I've not seen anything in the kernel configuration relative to LVS.

Rebuild the kernel again or make sure you executed this command:

cat <path-name>/linux-2.4.0_kernel_ksyms_c.diff | patch -p1

Again, this patch adds into the kernel exactly the symbols
you search for. Something is wrong with your kernel build if you really
patched the kernel. This is the only patch you need to apply.

> --
> Lifo.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
> Rebuild the kernel again or make sure you executed this command:
>
> cat <path-name>/linux-2.4.0_kernel_ksyms_c.diff | patch -p1

I've done it two times ( after unpacking the kernel archive)
I've verified that the path is present (looking at kernel/ksyms.c)
.
Maybe I'm really fool, but I haven't seen anything ...

> Again, this patch adds into the kernel exactly the symbols
> you search for. Something is wrong with your kernel build if you really
> patched the kernel. This is the only patch you need to apply.

OK, if the patch is correctly applied, where, in the kernel config, have I
to search for any LVS symbols ???

Thanks and sorry for my uncomprehension ...

--
Lifo.
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Sebastien COUREAU wrote:

> > Rebuild the kernel again or make sure you executed this command:
> >
> > cat <path-name>/linux-2.4.0_kernel_ksyms_c.diff | patch -p1
>
> I've done it two times ( after unpacking the kernel archive)
> I've verified that the path is present (looking at kernel/ksyms.c)

make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
^^^

may be you have to extract fresh source.

> > Again, this patch adds into the kernel exactly the symbols
> > you search for. Something is wrong with your kernel build if you really
> > patched the kernel. This is the only patch you need to apply.
>
> OK, if the patch is correctly applied, where, in the kernel config, have I
> to search for any LVS symbols ???

No LVS symbols. You make the LVS 0.1.2 as modules. The kernel
does not know anything about LVS. You need only the netfilter support.

I see (in ipvs/Makefile) that by default the LVS modules are
compiled with !SMP and CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y options. They must match
the kernel's ones. Try to alter this Makefile too:

-DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h

But I still think that there is a problem with the ksyms patch.
LVS uses many symbols from the kernel and they don't fail. Only the
symbols in the patch, so it seems it is not in bzImage.

Next step is to show us how you make kernel :) Or may be there
is really a problem. Someone else with such problem?

> Lifo.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
> > I've done it two times ( after unpacking the kernel archive)
> > I've verified that the path is present (looking at kernel/ksyms.c)
>
> make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
> ^^^
>
> may be you have to extract fresh source.

OK, sorry, I've only forgot to make dep clean .

Thanks a lot, now working very well ...

--
Lifo.
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
Julian Anastasov wrote:

> cat <path-name>/linux-2.4.0_kernel_ksyms_c.diff | patch -p1
>
> Again, this patch adds into the kernel exactly the symbols
> you search for. Something is wrong with your kernel build if you really
> patched the kernel. This is the only patch you need to apply.

Julian
what is the file ipvs/linux_net_ipv4_ipvs_Makefile for?

Joe

mailto:mack.joseph@epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:
>
> > Julian
> > what is the file ipvs/linux_net_ipv4_ipvs_Makefile for?
>
> Wensong created some files to build the LVS into the kernel.
> Put these files in the proper places. I still didn't tried the LVS
> compiled in the kernel because I perform different tests, you know,
> it is not easy to change the kernel every time :)

There is a regular Makefile and this other "Makefile" which are quite
different. It looks as if there are 2 ways to build the ipvs code.
Do you know if this is true?

Joe

--
Joseph Mack mack@ncifcrf.gov
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> Julian
> what is the file ipvs/linux_net_ipv4_ipvs_Makefile for?

Wensong created some files to build the LVS into the kernel.
Put these files in the proper places. I still didn't tried the LVS
compiled in the kernel because I perform different tests, you know,
it is not easy to change the kernel every time :)

> Joe

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> Yes, the goal is to have one of the two variants:
>
> - modules
> - compiled in the kernel

oh.

I was wondering if there was a netfilter version of ipvs and the old style
like for 2.2 kernels.

thanks
Joe

> both are very useful :)

:-)

--
Joseph Mack mack@ncifcrf.gov
Re: Kernel 2.4.0 and ipvs ... [ In reply to ]
Hello Joe,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> There is a regular Makefile and this other "Makefile" which are quite
> different. It looks as if there are 2 ways to build the ipvs code.
> Do you know if this is true?

Yes, the goal is to have one of the two variants:

- modules
- compiled in the kernel

both are very useful :)

You need to put the ipvs/ directory in net/ipv4/ and to
manually create/replace the needed files. For now this is a temporary
solution and I think it will be changed very soon.