Hi,

I need a load balancer which should accept redirecting rules on URLs . For
example, Those with "/cgi-bin" to a group of servers, others (for static
data) to another group of servers . Is this planed to be done ? Do somebody
ever tried to do it ? (I have never put my nose into LVSs softs code, but
would it be difficult to add this feature?)

THanks,

Fred,
Re: Redirecting on URL rules ... [ In reply to ]
jesus..you're back in 1999, check your time :)

Frédéric Schwien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a load balancer which should accept redirecting rules on URLs . For
> example, Those with "/cgi-bin" to a group of servers, others (for static
> data) to another group of servers . Is this planed to be done ? Do somebody
> ever tried to do it ? (I have never put my nose into LVSs softs code, but
> would it be difficult to add this feature?)
>
> THanks,
>
> Fred,

Für weitere Fragen stehe ich Ihnen gerne auch
telefonisch oder via E-Mail zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Wiktor Wodecki
Unix-Administration

Wodecki@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: + 49 -211-7 48 45 - 0
Fax: + 49 -211-7 48 45 - 176

E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
Wapme.net - wherever you are
Re: Redirecting on URL rules ... [ In reply to ]
Frédéric Schwien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a load balancer which should accept redirecting rules on URLs . For
> example, Those with "/cgi-bin" to a group of servers, others (for static
> data) to another group of servers . Is this planed to be done ? Do somebody
> ever tried to do it ? (I have never put my nose into LVSs softs code, but
> would it be difficult to add this feature?)

LVS is a layer 3 router thing (IP layer - i.e IP or UDP address).

You are after a Layer 7 (application i.e HTTP URL) layer router thing.

Apprently there are rumours for this - but do not hold your breath.

Greg

Re: Redirecting on URL rules ... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 02:13:54PM -0000, Frédéric Schwien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a load balancer which should accept redirecting rules on URLs . For
> example, Those with "/cgi-bin" to a group of servers, others (for static
> data) to another group of servers . Is this planed to be done ? Do somebody
> ever tried to do it ? (I have never put my nose into LVSs softs code, but
> would it be difficult to add this feature?)

What you are after is a layer-7 switch, that is something that can
inspect HTTP packets and make decisions bassed on that information.
You can use squid to do this, there are other options. A post was made
to this list about doing this a while back. Try hunting through the
archives.

LVS on the other hand is a layer-4 switch, the only information that it has
available to it is IP address and port and protocol (TCP/IP or UDP/IP). It
cannot inspect the data segment and see even understand that the request is
an HTTP request, let alone that the URL requested is /cgi-bin or whatever.

There has been talk of doing this, but to be honest it is a different
problem to that which LVS solves and arguably should live in user space
rather than kernel space as a _lot_ more proccessing is required.

--
Horms
Re: Redirecting on URL rules ... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 02:25:31PM +0100, Wiktor Wodecki wrote:
> jesus..you're back in 1999, check your time :)

Let's party like it's 1999 :)

--
Horms
Re: Redirecting on URL rules ... [ In reply to ]
About the best you can do today is route based on port numbers (static pages on port 80, CGI scripts on port 8080 perhaps . . . )

If you can specify the URL plus port number combination you can use FWMARK rules to select the pool of real servers.

--Karl