Mailing List Archive

[lvs-users] Mysterious lvs entry in ganglia
I have a mysterious host in my cluster ganglia page (
http://risc2.numis.northwestern.edu/ganglia/) at the ip 10.10.0.1
which calls itself "lvs" . (I have faked a directory for it as
otherwise ganglia shows an ugly broken link.) The fake node (it is a
spoofed host) appeared after a recent update, and I am having
difficultly finding where it is from. We have not intentionally
started lvs, but maybe the vendor did on some new nodes. Any
suggestions welcome.

And before you ask, I have already posted to the ganglia list and so
far nobody has a suggestion that has been useful.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University

Re: [lvs-users] Mysterious lvs entry in ganglia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 10:44 -0600, Laurence Marks wrote:
> I have a mysterious host in my cluster ganglia page

I would suggest that you need to either look in the ganglia logs to see
where that node is coming from, or run a tcpdump on the ganglia server
itself to work out where the traffic is coming from.

I would hazard a guess that there's a misconfigured node on your local
(campus?) LAN which is communicating with the ganglia server. Worst case
is someone has something running "away from home" which is calling in
remotely over the internet, in which case you need to firewall the nuts
out of your ganglia server.

Feel free to email me off-list if you like - this is definitely not a
usual situation, although neither is it one for this list!

Graeme