I'm looking at packets after they've been accepted by TP
and I'm using (among other things) tcpdump.

Where in the netfilter chain does tcpdump look at incoming
and outgoing packets? When they are put on/received from
the wire? After the INPUT, before the OUTPUT chain...?

Anyone know?

Thanks Joe

mailto:mack.joseph@epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA
Re: debugging transparent proxy with tcpdump [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Joseph Mack wrote:

> I'm looking at packets after they've been accepted by TP
> and I'm using (among other things) tcpdump.
>
> Where in the netfilter chain does tcpdump look at incoming
> and outgoing packets? When they are put on/received from
> the wire? After the INPUT, before the OUTPUT chain...?

Before/after any netfilter chains. Such programs hook at
packet level before/after the IP stack just before/after the packet
is received/must be sent from/by the device. They work and for
other protocols. The tcpdump is a packet receiver just like the
IP stack is such one in the network stack.

> Anyone know?
>
> Thanks Joe

Regards

--