Mailing List Archive

solrb renaming
It has been discussed in the past and even more today in the
#code4lib chat room that we ought to rename the solrb package so that
things start aesthetically pleasing:

gem install solrb

apparently doesn't strike a chord with everyone. I'm not tied to
solrb. The original intention of that name was "sol.rb" to spin off
of the Spanish spelling of sun. And I think naming the gem "sol.rb"
literally is a bad idea for syntactic reasons in that it'll likely
trip something up along the way (are there gems with dots in their
names out there now?).

So, here are some ideas tossed out for renaming consideration:

solr-ruby
ruby-solr
solr-client
solr

My $0.02: "gem install solr" implies installing Solr itself which we
currently are not going to do. "solr-ruby" or "ruby-solr" are more
suitable to me. I don't personally mind "solrb", but I can see how
it isn't all that pleasing to others.

Thoughts?

Erik
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
solr-ruby seems "correct", descriptive, easy to remember...

Otis

Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/ - Tag - Search - Share

Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On 2/15/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> solr-ruby
> solr-client

Either of those seems reasonable. I'm kind of pulling towards
solr-client since -ruby is mostly used for bindings, it seems.

--
Coda Hale
http://blog.codahale.com
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
+1 for solr-ruby

Though solr-ruby-client would be more correct it is also too verbose.

gem install solr-ruby feels appropriate.

-mel

Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On Feb 15, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Coda Hale wrote:

> On 2/15/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>> solr-ruby
>> solr-client
>
> Either of those seems reasonable. I'm kind of pulling towards
> solr-client since -ruby is mostly used for bindings, it seems.

Isnt' solrb a binding to Solr?

erik
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On Feb 15, 2007, at 8:38 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> solr-ruby

solruby?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On 2/15/07, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> solruby?

When I first saw "solrb", my brain saw "solr-b" and it made me wonder
what the "b" stood for :-)

solruby doesn't have that problem, so either "solruby" or "solr-ruby"
sound fine to me.

-Yonik
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On Feb 15, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> solruby doesn't have that problem, so either "solruby" or "solr-ruby"
> sound fine to me.

I like solr-ruby. It would follow the pattern of some other gems on
rubyforge:

gem list -r | grep '\-ruby'

//Ed
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On 2/15/07, Edward Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:

> I like solr-ruby. It would follow the pattern of some other gems on
> rubyforge:
>
> gem list -r | grep '\-ruby'

Agreed and the ruby community is nothing if fans of convention.

-Ross.
SV: Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
Hi:

If I am using "gem" to install a package.... means that I am installing ruby packages. I dont really see a justification of telling folks that are installing a ruby gem the following message ... "Hi you are installing a ruby gem". it feels wired so my 2 cent or IMHO ruby shoudn't be in the name. solr or solrb sounds just fine.

p.s I don't thing - gem install solr -- sounds I am installing solr? solr is a java soft. not a ruby soft... gem install solr means I am installing a gem which I can use to build app using the solr java soft.

Regards

---------------------------------

Stava rätt! Stava lätt! Yahoo! Mails stavkontroll tar hand om tryckfelen och mycket mer! Få den på http://se.mail.yahoo.com
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On 2/15/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Coda Hale wrote:
> > On 2/15/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> >> solr-ruby
> >> solr-client
> >
> > Either of those seems reasonable. I'm kind of pulling towards
> > solr-client since -ruby is mostly used for bindings, it seems.
>
> Isnt' solrb a binding to Solr?

If Solr was a local library which needed to be wrapped in a friendly
Ruby layer, yes. As it is, it's a client to an external service. ;-)
cf. libxml-ruby vs. memcache-client.

Not like there's a huge orthodoxy on this subject, though.

--
Coda Hale
http://blog.codahale.com
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On Feb 15, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On 2/15/07, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> solruby?
>
> When I first saw "solrb", my brain saw "solr-b" and it made me wonder
> what the "b" stood for :-)

If you're used to talking to others about Ruby, you end up saying
"blah blah blah dot R.B." a lot. Sol - R.B. is how I pronounce it,
so it sounds rubyish as least :)

> solruby doesn't have that problem, so either "solruby" or "solr-ruby"
> sound fine to me.

Looks like solr-ruby will take the cake.

solruby still gets into that overlapping "r" usage and seems funky.

Erik
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
In case you've missed it, "svn up". :)

I've made the rename of the solrb directory to solr-ruby, and will
soon get around to adjusting references to solrb to be solr-ruby
wherever I find 'em. If you're interested, feel free to adjust the
wiki before I get to it, or point me to places that need changing.
We'll patch up the Rakefile to build the properly named solr-ruby gem
distributable files (I'll await Ed's response on what's needed for
that).

Erik

Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On Feb 18, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> We'll patch up the Rakefile to build the properly named solr-ruby
> gem distributable files (I'll await Ed's response on what's needed
> for that).

Erik: you can do a s/solrb/solr-ruby/g in the Rakefile.

//Ed
Re: solrb renaming [ In reply to ]
On Feb 18, 2007, at 8:26 PM, Edward Summers wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> We'll patch up the Rakefile to build the properly named solr-ruby
>> gem distributable files (I'll await Ed's response on what's needed
>> for that).
>
> Erik: you can do a s/solrb/solr-ruby/g in the Rakefile.

Done. I've now also renamed the wiki pages fully, I think. If there
are any other "solrb" references, let me know and I'll change them.

<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/solr-ruby>

Erik