"paul"

Stay tuned... :)

Paul
Re: ruby/swig/clucene [ In reply to ]
Oh please, oh please, oh please. I'm working away at a Rails app, but
I really neeed full text indexing. I've used Lucene, and really want
to use it from Ruby! :-) Anxiously awaiting... :-)

Re: ruby/swig/clucene [ In reply to ]
Paul,

Fantastic! If there is anything we can do to help, let us know.
What license are you planning for your implementation? If it is ASL,
and I hope it is, then we could get a directory set up for you to
commit your work under lucene.apache.org.

Erik

Re: ruby/swig/clucene [ In reply to ]
Erk,

A couple things have come to light in the last couple days, since i
started work on this. One is that the latest stable release of
CLucene (has it been adopted by apache now?) that I was working with
is apparently ripe to be replaced by a newer release, according to
it's maintainer Ben. The second is that this newer release has a lot
of SWIG typemaps and interfaces already built, which should reduce the
amount of ruby specific code necessary - scrapping some if not most of
the work I did on Thursday. :) I'm not a traditional member of the
contributing free software community, so I am open to whatever the
least restrictive and most appropriate licenesing scheme is, should it
turn out that this new version of CLucene actually requires enough
work to warrant a seperate release and not just inclusion in the
CLucene project itself.

Having said those things, I am not sure how much time I am going
to have to spend on this project moving forward. When i started on
this i had intended to pull a bunch of overnighters this weekend to
get enough of something going to be useful to me operating under the
potentially overly optimistic assumption that I would indeed be able
to get something useful going in that timeframe. But if nothing else
comes out of this, I am happy to have produced at least a couple basic
test cases showing the viability of this project.

I'm checking out the latest branch of CLucene as we speak and going
to start poking at it. I'll let the list know how it goes.

Paul

Re: ruby/swig/clucene [ In reply to ]
Paul,

CLucene is not part of the Apache Software Foundation, though I
believe it is licensed under the Apache Software License.

I would be thrilled to have your work in open source somewhere, even
if not at Apache. The quickest route may be for me to give you
commit privileges on the rubylucene project at RubyForge. If you'd
like to go that route, create a user account there and send me your
username privately.

As for CLucene including more SWIG glue, that is great news. I
haven't personally followed that project closely.

Keep us posted - we're eager for a Ruby Lucene!

Erik

On Oct 1, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Paul Brown wrote:

> Erk,
>
> A couple things have come to light in the last couple days, since i
> started work on this. One is that the latest stable release of
> CLucene (has it been adopted by apache now?) that I was working with
> is apparently ripe to be replaced by a newer release, according to
> it's maintainer Ben. The second is that this newer release has a lot
> of SWIG typemaps and interfaces already built, which should reduce the
> amount of ruby specific code necessary - scrapping some if not most of
> the work I did on Thursday. :) I'm not a traditional member of the
> contributing free software community, so I am open to whatever the
> least restrictive and most appropriate licenesing scheme is, should it
> turn out that this new version of CLucene actually requires enough
> work to warrant a seperate release and not just inclusion in the
> CLucene project itself.
>
> Having said those things, I am not sure how much time I am going
> to have to spend on this project moving forward. When i started on
> this i had intended to pull a bunch of overnighters this weekend to
> get enough of something going to be useful to me operating under the
> potentially overly optimistic assumption that I would indeed be able
> to get something useful going in that timeframe. But if nothing else
> comes out of this, I am happy to have produced at least a couple basic
> test cases showing the viability of this project.
>
> I'm checking out the latest branch of CLucene as we speak and going
> to start poking at it. I'll let the list know how it goes.
>
> Paul
>
> On 10/1/05, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul,
>>
>> Fantastic! If there is anything we can do to help, let us know.
>> What license are you planning for your implementation? If it is ASL,
>> and I hope it is, then we could get a directory set up for you to
>> commit your work under lucene.apache.org.
>>
>> Erik
>>

>> On Sep 30, 2005, at 10:42 PM, Paul Brown wrote:
>>

>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> Thought you might like to see this..
>>>
>>> paul$ ./testIndexWriter.rb
>>> writing: paul brown
>>> writing: jim bob
>>> writing: jeff brown
>>> Index document count: 3
>>>
>>> paul$ ./testIndexReader.rb
>>> 0 : paul brown
>>> 1 : jim bob

Re: ruby/swig/clucene [ In reply to ]
Erik,

Sounds great. My account there is paulwilsonbrown - do you need
anything else? I have just completed some successful test runs using
the QueryParser interface and running through docs with some very
light ruby specific glue for arrays and so forth, so I think I should
be able to release something shortly that might work for some of the
people some of the time in some use cases. Ahem. Can't expect too
much more from a weekend though I guess.