should I be looking at or altering to find out what is causing the hang?
Thanks!

Jon Wasson

Re: indexing big files [ In reply to ]
My guess is Garbage Collection -- Try allocating twice as much Heap as before.
or more. Try running with -gc:verbose (or whatever).

Cheers,
Winton

>Question from a Lucene newbie... I'm trying to index a file structure which
>happens to include a relatively large file (310kb with 55,700 words) and
>for some reason it appears to hanging the whole indexing process. Here's a
>quick run-down..
>
>1) Am using a webcrawler to retrieve files and copy to my local disk.
>2) For files like .pdf's... I'm copying an .html equivalent of the file to
>my disk (but leaving .pdf extension).
>3) Then later in a serperate batch process I run pretty much the standard
>out of the box "org.apache.lucene.IndexHTML" demo class (except I've added
>.pdf as a possible indexing type).
>
>That's about it. No big deal. The transformation from pdf to html is not
>perfected yet either... so file size will definitely drop in the future...
>as nonsense terms are being included in these files. But for now... what
>should I be looking at or altering to find out what is causing the hang?
>Thanks!
>
>Jon Wasson
>

>--

Winton Davies
Lead Engineer, Overture (NSDQ: OVER)
1820 Gateway Drive, Suite 360
San Mateo, CA 94404
work: (650) 403-2259
cell: (650) 867-1598
http://www.overture.com/

Re: indexing big files [ In reply to ]
Have tried that... even going so as as to push it to a Solaris server with
plenty more RAM than my NT box... still hanging, so assume it is something
other than memory. So far have stepped into it and it appears to be
hanging on HTMLParser parser = new HTMLParser(f); in HTMLDocument.class...
think this may have something to do with JavaCC.zip & HTLParser.jj?
Similarly org.apache.lucene.HTMLParser.Test appears to be hanging.

Winton Davies
<wdavies@over To: "Lucene Users List"
ture.com> <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:
01/08/02 Subject: Re: indexing big files
05:30 PM
Please
respond to
"Lucene Users
List"

mailto:lucene-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: indexing big files [ In reply to ]
Found the problem. Not related to memory. May actually be a bug in
initial distribution of HTMLParser.jj. If you have a title with a huge
number of characters (in my case 652 char's... though most are
erroneous)... the Parser hangs the whole indexing process. Can anyone else
verify this? I was able to fix it by simply limiting the title when my
webcrawler is parsing my pdf's, but this should be probably be addressed in
the parser as well to be safe.

Jonathan_Wass
on@dom.com To: "Lucene Users List"
<lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
01/14/2002 cc:
06:14 PM Subject: Re: indexing big files
Please
respond to
"Lucene Users
List"