Mailing List Archive

Lucene, Java and GC
Hi,

I'm getting pestered by developers and management regarding the
estimated performance of Lucene. I've gotten the index running
reasonably fast (on a corpus of 8 million docs).

In particular, some developers had been bitten by global GC on some
pure Java webservers, especially when they loaded in a small number
of objects. Note this wasn't Lucene...

However, they were all very worried when I said I had a Gig of stuff
in memory (the RamDirectory)....

Has anyone had any experience with running high-volume searches
using Lucene.In particular has anyone had any experience (or lack
thereof) of GC problems ? (platform and JVM versions would be
interesting)

Was anything specific done in the design to avoid GC issues (I don't
know if there is in general). I know the RAMdir is a long-lived
object, and so should be immune to Global GC's but apparently Java
still has issues in the area of Scavenges vs Global GC.

I'm going to be running experiments, and will let you know my finding.

Cheers,
Winton

Winton Davies
Lead Engineer, Overture (NSDQ: OVER)
1820 Gateway Drive, Suite 360
San Mateo, CA 94404
work: (650) 403-2259
cell: (650) 867-1598
http://www.overture.com/

RE: Lucene, Java and GC [ In reply to ]
Winton,

Jives uses Lucene. Jives is the forum application used on www.javasoft.com,
and I expect that the forum searches there are quite knarly.

regards,

the elephantwalker
www.elephantwalker.com