Mailing List Archive

What is the approximate processing mechanism for field length?
Dear colleague:
   I am a drive development engineer works in ZTE corporation from China.
   Recently in learning lucene source code.There is a question that puzzled me for a long time, as follows:
   How to understand the approximate handing mechanism for field length "dl" in the BM25Scorer class? For example, "keywords" field has 78 tokens. I think its field_length(dl) is 78, but lucene handled as 76(approximate) as described in function explainTF(Explaination freq, long norm).
   Thank you very much for your reading and look forward to your answer!

Koo
Drive development engineer