Mailing List Archive

ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in IndexHTML demo
I am working my way through the examples in the Getting Started
documentation, and I have run into a problem with the Web demo program.

When I run the following command

java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index {index} ..

I receive the following messages:

adding ./jsp/cal/Entries.txt
caught a class java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException with message:
null
Dumping live threads:
'Thread-0" tid 0x82bc010 ...

Regardless of the starting directory (.. in this case), the indexer appears
to find the first file and then catch the Array Index Exception after that.

I am able to run the other demo (IndexFiles) without any problems, and the
lucene jar and lucene demo jar are both in my CLASSPATH.

I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Jeff

ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in IndexHTML demo [ In reply to ]
Hi, again. I would appreciate any pointers you could offer me as I
continue to work through this problem.

As an addendum to my previous message, I have tried the following:
- Moving the location of {index} to another directory
- Ensuring that I have permissions to write to the {index} directory
- Double checking my CLASSPATH and the functionality of the shipping Tomcat
demos
- Checking the web and this mailing list archive for similar problems

Also, I am running tomcat 4.0.4 (full edition).

What would cause the demo code to generate an
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException? Could be something simple--I'm a Java
newbie.

Thanks,
Jeff

----- Forwarded by Jeff Watts/AUS/NIC on 06/27/2002 03:09 PM -----

Re: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in IndexHTML demo [ In reply to ]
I suggest you add some debugging code around the line where the
exception is thrown. Check the array size, see which element is in
question, etc. etc. and also look at the stack trace with line numbers
included.

This part looks unusual:

> Dumping live threads:
> 'Thread-0" tid 0x82bc010 ...

What's printing that? Your application? IndexHTML? Some class? JVM?

Otis