Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards
Keith

Re: multiple clients? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

There is currenly no support for remote index searching, although you
will find some notes about it in Lucene (-user or -dev) mailing list
archives. I think the keyword to use in the search could be
'distributed' in the subject line - see http://nagoya.apache.org/.

I had a similar setup at the previous employer. I simply distributed
the index directory and its content to remote servers running Resin
using sdist/rsync. It worked pretty well, as the IndexSearcher
instance was able to tell when the index was updated and do what it
needed to do in that scenario.

Otis

RE: multiple clients? [ In reply to ]
I found a SQLDirectory class from the mailing list. This will solve the
distributed problem, but it is reliable and fast?

Anyone has any feedback on using RDBMS instead of the file system?

Keith

RE: multiple clients? [ In reply to ]
I thought of using that, too, when faced with your issue.
I contacted the author with the same questions that you have, and the
answers were not encouraging. Try using my first name and SQLDirectory
as keywords for the list archive search and you may be able find
another message from me with more details about the author's response.

Otis

Re: multiple clients? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I found a SQLDirectory class from the mailing list. This will solve the
> distributed problem, but it is reliable and fast?
>
> Anyone has any feedback on using RDBMS instead of the file system?

We made comparison of FSDirectory vs. SQLDirectory, and found that version
that was available in mailing list is very slow. Phrase search in 5,000
documents is performed in 601 ms in FSDirectory and 133813 ms in
SQLDirectory connected to PostgreSQL. But I'm pretty sure one can improve
SQLDirectory, for example, 1k block size is too small, because time to
execute query is greater than to transfer data over the wire.

Our next try will be JDataStore from Borland, it seems very promissing (in
my DB performance tests it outperformed PostgreSQL, SAP DB and InterBase, as
well as all-in-java DBMS-es). But JDataStore is not free.

Best regards,
Roman Rokytskyy

RE: multiple clients? [ In reply to ]
Hi Roman

Thank you for your feedback.

I will experiment with FSDirectory first, and get the code up and running.

Keith