Mailing List Archive

Merging Question
I'm wondering if someone can speak to the normal behavior of lucene when it
is merging multiple indexes together.

Is it true when merging multiple FSDirectories together, you should start
seeing growing files in the output directory immediately?

I am trying to merge 10 indexes together. After about 4 hours of
processing, none of my indexes had changed size at all - input or output
indexes. Memory usage had grown to 1 GB, after which it died since that is
where I had it capped.

I tried again this morning, this time only merging 4 indexes into one
existing index. The same behavior appears to be happening again.

The indexes I am merging are moderately large, about 125 MB each, and I am
merging into a 9 GB index.

The only thing that is different this time that previously when I had merged
large indexes together, is that I delete a large batch of documents from the
9GB index a couple of days ago. Could I have done something to the index in
the delete that would cause this strange merging behavior?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dan

RE: Merging Question [ In reply to ]
Scratch this question.... problem is my fault.

Dan