This is slightly off-topic but does anyone know of a good freeware summarization tool i.e something that generates an abstract out
of a text?

Thanks.

Re: Summarization tool? [ In reply to ]
Gee, would I be interested in something like that...

I haven't seen anything of that sort at all, much less in Java (not to say
its inferior, but that its relatively new).

Re: OT: Summarization tool? [ In reply to ]
Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:
> This is slightly off-topic but does anyone know of a good freeware
> summarization tool i.e something that generates an abstract out
> of a text?

I have found the following tools quite handy for what you mention. They
offer fully Java based implementations of a number of machine learning
principles which is very handy. There is also a book available to
complement the WEKA toolkit.

http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/ (WEKA - Machine learning toolkit)
http://www.nzdl.org/Kea/ (Keyphrase extraction using WEKA)
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/%7Enzdl/textmining/index.html

The Keyphrase ExtrAction toolkit works quite well but relies on being
seeded with known summary information to build patterns.

There are a number of papers on this topic which you can find at the
above web sites.

Not sure if this is helpful but it may be a start.

regards

Geoff

Re: Summarization tool? [ In reply to ]
Well, the main keyword here is freeware...now that's a big NO! But, next
best thing...there is this
dutch company named "carp technologies" (and no, I don't work for them...:)
that has a
summarization tool (also written in Java).

So, the URL is: http://www.carp-technologies.nl/en/home.html

There is a 'free' personal edition...

so, have fun

Maurits