I think the StopFilter does a poor job here. Is anyone familiar with this
problem and has an answer for me?
Puk Witte.

Re: StopFilter-troubles [ In reply to ]
--- P.Witte@CS.unimaas.nl wrote:
> Dear Lucene-users,
> has someone an answer to the following question:
> If I add a StopFilter to my Analyzer, the stopwords I gave him will
> be left
> out the query. So far, so good. But when my query is like this one:
> (field1
> : xxxxx) AND (field2 : stopword) AND (field 1 : yyyyy)
> the StopFilter will do its work, but the resulting query is a big
> mess :
> (field1 : xxxxx) AND ( ) AND (field 1 : yyyyy), and because of that
> the
> searching results ara no good. I hoped it would search for (field1 :
> xxxxx)
> AND (field 1 : yyyyy).
> I think the StopFilter does a poor job here. Is anyone familiar with
> this
> problem and has an answer for me?
> Puk Witte.

I tried something like this on one Lucene index:

The results were the same as this query:

This seems right to me.

Otis

RE: StopFilter-troubles [ In reply to ]
Dear all, especially Otis Gospodnetic (thanks for your answer),
without ( )'s the StopFilter is doing a good job indeed, but if I put them
around parts of the query, then the searchResult is wrong.
For example:
(field1 : xxxxx) AND (field2 : stopword) AND (field 1 : yyyyy)
So I'm afraid my problem is not solved yet. But maybe someone can try it
with the ()'s with his own tool and tell me if they've got the same problem.
Then I know whether I made a mistake.

Puk Witte

RE: StopFilter-troubles [ In reply to ]
I don't know enough about the query parser to be able to answer that
question, but why do you really need those parentheses?
It would also be great if you could submit this as a bug at
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/

Thanks,
Otis