+(keyword:{computers}) +(subject:{News}) content:xml

i have added the fields to the document correctly.

Have also tried using the MutipleFieldQueryParser without success.

The only query that works is, which is not correct as they are OR's
keyword:computers subject:IT content:xml

Is anyone having the same problems

Thanks in advance
Tate

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
I'm using MultiTermQueryParser and it works for me.

Otis

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
Tate,

The correct syntax is something like +(keyword:computers) -(subject:News).

HTH.

Maybe it would be helpful to add parse(String[] query, String[] fields,
Analyzer analyzer) methods into MultiFieldQueryParser? What do you think
Otis?

Kelvin

RE: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
I use a BooleanQuery and add individual queries to it, it is working for me.

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all your help.

The only way i could get it to work was the following

BooleanQuery bQuery = new BooleanQuery();

TermQuery tSubject = new TermQuery( new Term( SUBJECT_KEY, subject ));
TermQuery tKeyword = new TermQuery( new Term( KEYWORD_KEY, keyword ));

bQuery.add( tSubject, true, false );
bQuery.add( tkeyword, true, false );

Query qContent = QueryParser.parse( literal, CONTENT_KEY, analyzer );
bQuery.add( qContent, false, false );

//Perform query
hits = indexSearcher.search(bQuery);

// debug logging
if (logger.isDebugEnabled()) {

logger.debug("Searching the fulltext string index pool with '" +
bQuery.toString(CONTENT_KEY)+"'" );
}

Could not see how the MultiFieldQueryParser could take in multiple queries. ie. SUBJECT, KEYWORD & CONTENT field
have different values to be queried. It only takes a single query.

Re: searching with a '/' [ In reply to ]
Gee KMail is crazy at times

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:08, Tate Jones wrote:
> If i attempt a search that contains a forward slash '/' the following
> exception occurs

<testcase name="testFullTextStringPool" time="3.59">
<error
type="java.lang.NullPointerException">java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermPositions.seek(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermDocs.seek(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentsTermDocs.termDocs(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentsTermDocs.next(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.PhrasePositions.next(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.PhrasePositions.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.PhraseScorer.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.ExactPhraseScorer.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.PhraseQuery.scorer(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.scorer(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Query.scorer(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Unknown Source)

Any ideas on how to escape the forward slash.

The string added was successful
"this/is/a/test/for/slashes"

I then tried to search for
"this/is/a/test/for/slashes"

then the exception occurred.

Thanks
Tate

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
Tate,

<snip>
> Could not see how the MultiFieldQueryParser could take in multiple
queries. ie. SUBJECT, KEYWORD & CONTENT field
> have different values to be queried. It only takes a single query.

You're right in that it doesn't. What I'm wondering right now, is if that's
a reasonably common request to warrant its inclusion into the
MultiFieldQueryParser class...

Regards,
Kelvin

Re: searching with a '/' [ In reply to ]
I remember a NPE in some seek method, and I think that was fixed.
Is this the latest version? Compiling with debug flag turned off will
show line numbers.

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
Kelvin,

Right now I can't imagine a situation where one would need to pass
multiple query strings in. I certainly don't need it anywhere where I
use Lucene, at least not yet. So I'd say hold off with that addition
unless people say they really need it. Couldn't one always just call
the parse method multiple times with a different query string each
time, and then combine returned Query instances?

Otis

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
> Right now I can't imagine a situation where one would need to pass
> multiple query strings in. I certainly don't need it anywhere where I
> use Lucene, at least not yet. So I'd say hold off with that addition
> unless people say they really need it. Couldn't one always just call
> the parse method multiple times with a different query string each
> time, and then combine returned Query instances?

Otis,

I suppose that's possible.

Actually if you need to construct complex multi-field boolean queries via a
web-based form, my recommendation is to use client-side Javascript. I posted
one such script a while back (for the life of me I don't know why it slipped
my mind about it). The difficulty, IMHO, is not getting QueryParser to
construct the query, but making query construction by the end-user simple
enough and idiot-proof...:)

Regards,
Kelvin

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
this is the right syntax:

+(keyword:{computers}) AND +(subject:{News}) AND
content:xml

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
hmmm...really?

My impression was that the "AND"s are treated equivalently with "+"s by the
parser, so they're redundant. The "{" and "}"s aren't part of the syntax,
are they?

Kelvin

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]
--- Kelvin Tan <kelvin@relevanz.com> wrote:
> hmmm...really?
>
> My impression was that the "AND"s are treated equivalently with "+"s
> by the
> parser, so they're redundant.

Correct.

> The "{" and "}"s aren't part of the syntax, are they?

I was wondering where those came from.
I don't think I've seen them in QueryParser.jj.

Otis

Re: Multiple field searching [ In reply to ]