Mailing List Archive

Maximum indexable data
Hi,

Is there a limit for the amount of data indexable by a segment?
If so is there a limit for searching? i.e. can I give MultiSearcher
several indices that are all close to the maximum size. Thanks.

--
Herman
Re: Maximum indexable data [ In reply to ]
I haven't heard of any such limit. There is a 'limit' of 10,000
characters on a field length, but that is a limit only because that
number is hard coded in the source.
However, shouldn't this be very simple for you to test?
Index something over and over and see if you ever hit the wall :)

Otis

Re: Maximum indexable data [ In reply to ]
Actually that's something which I'm not exactly thrilled about. Why is this
10,000 value hardcoded instead of configurable? Surely it's sufficient to be
a default instead of a limit.

What do you think?

Kelvin

Re: Maximum indexable data [ In reply to ]
Kelvin,

>Actually that's something which I'm not exactly thrilled about. Why is this
>10,000 value hardcoded instead of configurable? Surely it's sufficient to be
>a default instead of a limit.

The 10,000 refers to the maximum nr. of terms per document.
It's the default, and it's not hardcoded. Simply create an indexwriter
and change this attribute before adding docs.

Regards,
Ype

Re: Maximum indexable data [ In reply to ]
Ype,

> The 10,000 refers to the maximum nr. of terms per document.
> It's the default, and it's not hardcoded. Simply create an indexwriter
> and change this attribute before adding docs.

Ahhh, my bad. I didn't notice the maxFieldLength field. Guess I'm too used
to looking for getters/setters...:)

Thanks anyhow.

Regards,
Kelvin