Mailing List Archive

SegmentTermPositions throwing nullpointer
We are having some bizarre instances where SegmentTermPositions is
throwing
nullpointers. It only happens on certain queries, but it happens across
different indexes using the same query terms, always quoted. Seems to be

obscure multi word terms in quotes that make this happen.

"randi cohen" and "wacky tobaccy" threw on a sun box but did not throw
on
a pc.

"java.lang.null exception pointer" threw on a pc

Any ideas, anyone? I looked at the class and noticed that no
nullpointers
were thrown on purpose. I'm not familiar with the lucene code, so I'm
not
too sure what is happening in this process, and the lovely Unknown
Source
doesn't help out too much...

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermPositions.seek(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermDocs.seek(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.termPositions(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.PhraseQuery.scorer(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Query.scorer(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Unknown Source)

_________________

"The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win you're still a rat."
--Lily Tomlin
Charles Harvey
Developer
http://www.philly.com
Wk: 215 789 6057
Cell: 215 588 0851

Re: SegmentTermPositions throwing nullpointer [ In reply to ]
Have you got the latest Lucene? Nightly build?
Try that, this looks like an old bug that has been fixed.

Otis