Mailing List Archive

optimizing index - too many open files
Hello all,

I am running into an error:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /lucene/index/_2vx.tii ( too many open
files )
after my class calls IndexWriter.optimize().

Does anybody know what causes this error?
Any help is appreciated.

( By the way, the site that I am indexing is huge.
I have a crawler run through the site calling many .jsps, .pdfs, and .html
docs.
It ran fine two days ago after indexing 3700+ pages. )

Could the index be too large for Lucene to handle?

The error:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /lucene/index/-2vx.tii ( too many open
files )
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open( Native Method )
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream$Descriptor.<init>
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.<init>
at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile
at org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfosReader.readIndex
at org.apache.lucene.index.TermInfosReader.<init>
at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.<init>
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize

Re: optimizing index - too many open files [ In reply to ]
Sorry to bother y'all again.
Found an answer in the archives under the Thread "Indexing problem".

About to try using RAMDirectory first.

pax et bonum. p.

RE: optimizing index - too many open files [ In reply to ]
I have to index 1650mb of documents, and eventually i will get "out of
memory" with a RAMDir and get "too many open files" with a FSdir, so to get
around this i am indexing 100 documents at a time in a RAMDir, then merge
this RAMDir into a FSDir before i index the next set of 100 files. This made
me work around both "out of memory" and "too many files" exceptions...

mvh karl øie