I then update luceneweb.war and restart Tomcat... to no avail. No results...
thanks in advance.
jdh

RE: rookie question [ In reply to ]
> 1. when creating an index, after the -index switch, should you type in a
> relative or absolute path? If you simply enter -index index, I can see
that the
> index is created in the directory from which the command was executed.

use absolute, it is easiest. if you use relative your implementation will
rely on what dir the program is started from..

> 2. similarly, in configuration.jsp, should indexLocation contain an
absolute or
> relative path? I have used an absolute, as such
> indexLocation="/usr/local/.../index"

absolutely absolute path as you might never know where your webapp-container
will place your webapp. On tomcat it's relatively easy as it will be in the
same directory as your .war file. but on say jboss the container will place
your webapp a totally other place.

your webapp might find the placement of the webapp in the container by using
the "getServletContext().getRealPath("");" function. but this path is
ofcourse not know for you when you create the index on command line....

> I then update luceneweb.war and restart Tomcat... to no avail. No
results...
> thanks in advance.
> jdh

i havent tried the luceneweb.war so i can't help you here... sorry

mvh karl

Re: rookie question [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 16:18, John Howay wrote:
> Greetings. I've managed to create a few indexes and get the demo web app
> working...mostly. However, I get no results from queries. I know the IndexHTML
> routine is picking up lots of stuff....

did you follow the instructions in the getting started guide?

> Several things are unclear:
> 1. when creating an index, after the -index switch, should you type in a
> relative or absolute path? If you simply enter -index index, I can see that the
> index is created in the directory from which the command was executed.

You'll need to do this in such a way that the index entries stored
happen to be the same as realtive to lucene... the easiest thing to do
is to do this from a context under webapp and go against ..

For the index, put it anywhere you like...suggest it not be accessible
via tomcat. Make sure you tell the webapp where to find it in the
configuration jsp.

> 2. similarly, in configuration.jsp, should indexLocation contain an absolute or
> relative path? I have used an absolute, as such
> indexLocation="/usr/local/.../index"

absolute

> I then update luceneweb.war and restart Tomcat... to no avail. No results...
> thanks in advance.
> jdh

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document