Mailing List Archive

Contrib Directory?
Hi folks,

For some reason the last question posted made me think about
this.

One of the things I like about Lucene is that it is an API and is
very cleanly designed and implemented. However, I can't deny it'd be
nice to have more working application-like stuff easily available for
Lucene.

A month or so ago, somebody mentioned the idea of adding some
more crawler-oriented stuff to Lucene. In the past couple of weeks
I've seen several mentions of source code contributions by various
people (like Peter Halacsy or however his last name is spelled) and
then there's the Isogen and Eyebrowse folks. The thought occurs to me
that perhaps Lucene ought to either:

a) Have a separate CVS hierarchy for non "core" lucene stuff where all
of this nifty, useful code can live (and to which lucene users could
return, time and again, to see if there's anything new to look at)
without tripping up the core lucene API.

b) As an alternative, have some sort of "lucene reference
applications" as a separate jakarta project that uses the lucene API.

Just an idea.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com