Mailing List Archive

Announcing githubsearch!
Hi Team,

~1.5 years ago (August 2022) we migrated our Lucene issue tracking from
Jira to GitHub. Thank you Tomoko for all the hard work doing such a
complex, multi-phased, high-fidelity migration!

I finally finished also migrating jirasearch to GitHub:
githubsearch.mikemccandless.com. It was tricky because GitHub issues/PRs
are fundamentally more complex than Jira's data model, and the GitHub REST
API is also quite rich / heavily normalized. All of the source code for
githubsearch lives here
<https://github.com/mikemccand/luceneserver/tree/master/examples/githubsearch>.
The UI remains its barebones self ;)

Githubsearch
<https://github.com/mikemccand/luceneserver/tree/master/examples/githubsearch>
is dog food for us: it showcases Lucene (currently 9.8.0), and many of its
fun features like infix autosuggest, block join queries (each comment is a
sub-document on the issue/PR), DrillSideways faceting, near-real-time
indexing/searching, synonyms (try “oome
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?text=oome&dd=status%3AOpen>”),
expressions, non-relevance and blended-relevance sort, etc. (This old blog
post
<https://blog.mikemccandless.com/2016/10/jiraseseach-20-dog-food-using-lucene-to.html>
goes
into detail.) Plus, it’s meta-fun to use Lucene to search its own issues,
to help us be more productive in improving Lucene! Nicely recursive.

In addition to good ol’ searching by text, githubsearch
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/> has some new/fun features:

- Drill down to just PRs or issues
- Filter by “review requested” for a given user: poor Adrien has 8
(open) now
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=requested_reviewers%3Ajpountz>
(sorry)! Or see your mentions (Robert is mentioned in 27 open issues/PRs
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=mentioned_users%3Armuir>).
Or PRs that you reviewed (Uwe has reviewed 9 still-open PRs
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=reviewed_users%3Auschindler>).
Or issues and PRs where a user has had any involvement at all (Dawid has
interacted on 197 issues/PRs
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=reviewed_users%3Adweiss>
).
- Find still-open PRs that were created by a New Contributor
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?chg=dds&text=&a1=author_association&a2=New+contributor&page=0&searcher=25792&sort=recentlyUpdated&format=list&id=cjhfx60attlt&dd=status%3AOpen&newText=>
(an author who has no changes merged into our repository) or Contributor
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=author_association%3AContributor>
(non-committer who has had some changes merged into our repository) or
Member
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=author_association%3AMember>
- Here are the uber-stale (last touched more than a month ago) open PRs
by outside contributors
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=author_association%3ANew+contributor%2CContributor%2CNone&dd=updated_ago%3A%3E+1+month+ago&dd=issue_or_pr%3APR>.
We should ideally keep this at 0, but it’s 83 now!
- “Link to this search” to get a short-er, more permanent URL (it is NOT
a URL shortener, though!)
- Save named searches you frequently run (they just save to local cookie
state on that one browser)

I’m sure there are exciting bugs, feedback/patches welcome! If you see
problems, please reply to this email or file an issue here
<https://github.com/mikemccand/luceneserver/issues>.

Note that jirasearch <https://jirasearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py>
remains running, to search Solr, Tika and Infra issues.

Happy Searching,

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com
Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
thank you very much!

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
This is so cool! Thank you Mike for developing and hosting these services!

Julie

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
It appears to always search prefixes, so there is no way to search for “wunder” without getting “wundermap” and “wunderground”. Putting the term in quotes doesn’t turn that off.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Cool Mike!

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 11:41?AM Michael McCandless

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Next step towards full meta would be by writing a Lucene Introduction
book, using code examples from this project and the dataset this project
uses.....

Regards,
Alex

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024, 11:40?a.m. Michael McCandless <

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Very cool, thank you Mike!

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 5:40?PM Michael McCandless <

--
Adrien
Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
I love the gray all text UI. Don't change it! But I wonder if it's time for
a favicon?

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 6:01?AM Michael Sokolov <msokolov@gmail.com> wrote:

I love the gray all text UI. Don't change it! But I wonder if it's time for
> a favicon?

LOL favicon! You do NOT want to have to confront my artistic skills!

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 1:00?PM Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org>
wrote:

It appears to always search prefixes, so there is no way to search for
> “wunder” without getting “wundermap” and “wunderground”. Putting the term
> in quotes doesn’t turn that off.

Hmm that shouldn't be the case? It does split on camel case though (thank
you WordDelimiterFilter!). E.g. try searching on infix
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?text=infix&dd=status%3AOpen>
and
you should see it highlighted inside terms like AnalyzingInfixSuggester.

In fact when I search for wunder
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?chg=new&text=wunder&a1=&a2=&page=0&searcher=25966&sort=recentlyUpdated&format=list&id=acbloeox20ko&dd=status%3AOpen&newText=wunder>
I get a horrible exception, I think I know why (it happens for any query
that gets no hits!). I opened this issue
<https://github.com/mikemccand/luceneserver/issues/26>. I'll try to fix
that soon.

Walter, I'm not sure how you were able to even search on "wunder" -- did
you get actual results? From githubsearch

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Thank you for all the warm feedback everyone, and all the exciting issues
already uncovered / ideas for improvements. Now I have some more fun work
to do!

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Awesome! I love it. Very useful.

-Chris.

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Thank you Mike, I really like all the facets!

One thing that bothered me about GitHub's own search was that it would
return
different results if I wasn't signed in. Maybe it does early stopping for
non-authenticated users? In any case, this won't be a problem with
githubsearch.

Have you considered indexing the Lucene source code too?

Stefan

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Oops, I followed a link which went to the main GitHub search. Nevermind.

I’m getting zero results for “wunder” now, no error. Looks like my username there is “wrunderwood”, that is working correctly as are quoted searches for my name.

I’l fool around some more, but so far it looks clean and fast.

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 10:06?AM Stefan Vodita <stefan.vodita@gmail.com>
wrote:

Thank you Mike, I really like all the facets!

Me too lol. It was one of the big motivators for me to build this out.
GitHub's search didn't have all the facet drill-downs/up/sideways I
wanted. Some of them are super useful like "which PRs have review
requested for me
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=requested_reviewers%3Amikemccand>"
or "where am I mentioned
<https://githubsearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?sort=recentlyUpdated&dd=status%3AOpen&dd=mentioned_users%3Amikemccand>".
Also, GitHub's filter choices do not seem to be dynamically generated for
this query -- so you can pick a filter value and it brings you to 0 hits,
violating the "no dead end" promise of Lucene's facets.

I was also disappointed with GitHub search's lack of hit highlighting, to
solve the "final inch" problem (show me specifically where, in this
massive massive list of comments on a PR/issue, my search terms appear),
and also not showing me the individual comment or code review comment
(multiple ones of those on a PR) where my search terms appear, lack of
linking directly to that comment, etc. Githubsearch uses Lucene's block
joins to achieve this.

GitHub's search doesn't offer a blended relevance+recency sort, which I
think makes a great default. It looks like it does support phrase search
(with double-quotes), curious how that works with ngrams.

I do like that the text query language includes all of the sort/filter
criteria -- the "is:open" and "sort:comments-desc". Githubsearch doens't
support that through the text query language, just the facets UI / REST
query URL.

Anyway, I don't want to complain (too much) about GitHub's search efforts.
Search is clearly hard, and we all (Lucene experts) have a fairly
biased/opinionated take on it all, heh. I've never met a search engine
that I'm fully happy with ;)

One thing that bothered me about GitHub's own search was that it would
> return
> different results if I wasn't signed in. Maybe it does early stopping for
> non-authenticated users? In any case, this won't be a problem with
> githubsearch.

Oh, that is very interesting -- I didn't know that.

Wow, I just tested -- indeed, you cannot even search the source code (for
Lucene's repo anyways) if you are not signed in. That's weird.

For issues/PRs searching, the three queries I tried seem to produce the
same results signed in or out. But it is scary/dangerous if this can
differ!!

> Have you considered indexing the Lucene source code too?

Oh my, I have not (until now lol). That's a great idea. Source code
tokenization would be such a fun problem ... I wonder if GitHub
open-sources how they tokenize the many different languages' source code.
GitHub's code search is in Rust (not using Lucene nor Rucene), a custom
search engine they recently built / switched to:
https://github.blog/2023-02-06-the-technology-behind-githubs-new-code-search,
away from Elasticsearch previously I think. It looks like they use ngrams,
maybe instead of language-specific tokenization (?), to do the initial
matching/retrieval. I would try normal lexical tokenization to see if
highlighting could work well.

I opened this luceneserver/GitHubSearch issue
<https://github.com/mikemccand/luceneserver/issues/27> to think about this
... it'd sure be fun to build and use :) Thank you for the suggestion
Stefan!

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
This is great! Like always, thank you Mike!

On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 8:40?AM Michael McCandless <

Anshum Gupta
Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
That's cool Mike! Well done!

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Great job! Thanks Mike!

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
here is a favicon you might want to try: I cropped the "VL" from the
Apache Lucene logo (ok I guess it's an AL) -- if you save it as
favicon.ico in the root of your website (ie as url /favicon.ico) it
should show up in bookmarks, browser toolbars, etc as a handy memory
aid. Of course you might have other ideas for a picture - it's
actually pretty easy to make the favicon once you have a picture you
like; I followed the instructions here
https://www.logikfabrik.se/blog/how-to-create-a-multisize-favicon-using-gimp/

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
Done! Deployed! Thank you Mike S.

Though on my "dark mode" Chrome on a Macbook, it's super dark. I can make
it out but I gotta stare for a bit ... do they make light and dark mode
.ico files in one!?

Re: Announcing githubsearch! [ In reply to ]
No I think you only get one version. Maybe we can try adding the green
background out regular making it gray and keeping the transparent
background?