There is still a little investigation and work left to bring these issues to a point where we’re comfortable with proposing a solution. I would be hopeful that we’ll get there by early next week. If so, then a Lucene 9.9.1 release can be proposed.

Thanks,
-Chris.
Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
Oh, and I’m happy to be Release Manager for 9.9.1 (given my recent experience on 9.9.0)

-Chris.

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
Based on the discussions in https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12895 ,
it seems like reverting the change that caused the corruption on read is
the quickest fix, so that we can speed up releasing 9.9.1. I opened a PR
for that: https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12899. Is there additional
testing that needs to be done to ensure that this is enough to address the
corruption?

Regarding a fix for the JVM SIGSEGV crash, how far are we from a fix that
protects Lucene from it? Should we wait for that to be included in 9.9.1?
Asking because the corruption above looks like it needs to be addressed
rather quickly. It would be great to include both, but I don't know how
long that delays 9.9.1.

Cheers
Luca

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
I don't understand use of the word corruption, isn't it just a bug in
intersect() that only affects wildcards etc? e.g. its not gonna merge
into new segments or impact written data in any way.

And i don't think we should rushout some bugfix release without any
test for this?

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
I believe your assessment that it is "only" a read problem is correct. I
can see how using the "corruption" wording may have caused confusion. It is
a severe bug though that affects multi term queries and I thought it's a
good idea to patch that, given that folks have reproduced it and found the
root cause. I agree on adding tests that cover it and not rushing anything
out, yet people upgrading to 9.9.0 are affected by it and that seems bad.
Thanks for the feedback.

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
FYI - I added the next bugfix version 9.9.1 to `branch_9_9`, in preparation for the upcoming bug fix release.

https://github.com/apache/lucene/commit/1617c0b3a5624adba6e7b380dfeb7fb89b8a2feb

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
> On 9 Dec 2023, at 09:09, Chris Hegarty <christopher.hegarty@elastic.co> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We’ve encounter two very serious issues with the recent Lucene 9.9.0 release, both of which (even if taken by themselves) would warrant a 9.9.1. The issues are:
>
> 1. https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12895 - Corruption read on term dictionaries in Lucene 9.9
>
> 2. https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12898 - JVM SIGSEGV crash when compiling computeCommonPrefixLengthAndBuildHistogram Lucene 9.9.0

I opened a small PR which reflows the code in computeCommonPrefixLengthAndBuildHistogram which has the affect of working around the JIT crash.

https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12903

-Chris.

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
Just a quick update on this...

> On 9 Dec 2023, at 09:09, Chris Hegarty <christopher.hegarty@elastic.co> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We’ve encounter two very serious issues with the recent Lucene 9.9.0 release, both of which (even if taken by themselves) would warrant a 9.9.1. The issues are:
>
> 1. https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12895 - Corruption read on term dictionaries in Lucene 9.9

Great work has been done re-adding tests, creating a new test to reproduce, and also working on an underlying fix. It feels like we’re getting close! :-)

> 2. https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12898 - JVM SIGSEGV crash when compiling computeCommonPrefixLengthAndBuildHistogram Lucene 9.9.0

Merged to branch_9_9.

Once no.1 is merged, I’ll build a 9.9.1 RC1 and start a vote.

-Chris

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
Heads up:

The bug fix PR (https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12900) has been merged to main, and backported to lucene_9x & lucene_9_9.

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

I think we should also regenerate the FSTs for 9.9.1?

https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12924

Thanks,

Mike

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,

> On 12 Dec 2023, at 12:56, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I think we should also regenerate the FSTs for 9.9.1?

Seems reasonable.

> https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12924

I added my comments and review on the PR.

-Chris.

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
OK this is merged now. Are there any other 9.9.1 blockers? I am trying to
pass all Monster tests but that can probably just run concurrently with
voting (optimistic concurrency!)?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 9:18?AM Chris Hegarty

Re: The need for a Lucene 9.9.1 release [ In reply to ]
Thanks,

I added a couple of 9.9.1 changelog entries, and will start the RC1 process.

-Chris.