You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.9.0-RC1-rev-92a5e5b02e0e083126c4122f2b7a02426c21a037

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours, and given the weekend in between, let’s it open until 2023-12-04 12:00 UTC.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1

Draft release highlights can be viewed here (comments and feedback welcome):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseNote9_9_0

-Chris.
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
SUCCESS! [1:11:30.037919]

+1. Thanks, Chris!

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
SUCCESS! [1:03:54.880200]

+1. Thank you Chris!

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
+1 to release.

I hit a corner-case test failure and opened a PR to fix it:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12859

I don't think this should block the release? -- it looks exotic.

Thanks Chris!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
SUCCESS! [0:52:59.891964]

+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
SUCCESS! [0:47:11.013106]

+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,

> On 30 Nov 2023, at 11:41, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>
> +1 to release.
>
> I hit a corner-case test failure and opened a PR to fix it: https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12859

Good find! It looks like the fix for this issue is well in hand - great.

> I don't think this should block the release? -- it looks exotic.

I’m not sure how likely this bug is to show in real (non-test) scenarios, but it does look kinda “exotic” to me too. So unless there are counter arguments, I do not see it as critical, and therefore not needing a respin.

-Chris.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
SUCCESS! [0:33:10.432870]

+1

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 2:59?PM Chris Hegarty

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Yet another bug due to ghost fields. :( Thanks for fixing! For reference, I
checked how postings work on SlowCompositeCodecReaderWrapper, since they
are prone to ghost fields as well, and they seem to be ok.

I worry that it could actually occur in practice when enabling recursive
graph bisection, so I would prefer to respin.

--
Adrien
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Adrien,

> On 30 Nov 2023, at 14:51, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yet another bug due to ghost fields. :( Thanks for fixing! For reference, I checked how postings work on SlowCompositeCodecReaderWrapper, since they are prone to ghost fields as well, and they seem to be ok.

Thanks for checking this Adrien.

> I worry that it could actually occur in practice when enabling recursive graph bisection, so I would prefer to respin.

Since the change has already been merged to branch_9_9 (thanks Mike), I’ll start an RC2 build right away, and post a notice when it is done.

-Chris.

P.S. I’m less sure about this, but the RC 2 starts a 72hr voting time again? (Just so I know what TTL to put on that)

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 9:56?AM Chris Hegarty
<christopher.hegarty@elastic.co.invalid> wrote:

P.S. I’m less sure about this, but the RC 2 starts a 72hr voting time
> again? (Just so I know what TTL to put on that)

Yeah a new 72 hour clock starts with each new RC :)

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
for the sake of posterity, I did get a successful smoketest:

SUCCESS! [1:00:06.512261]

but +0 to release I guess since it's moot...

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 10:38?AM Michael McCandless <

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
If we're spinning a new RC, I'd like to ask this group if it would make
sense to pull this very small method deprecation in:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12854

If there's a chance we don't release a 9.10 and go directly to 10.0, this
would be our last opportunity to mark it deprecated on a 9.x version so we
can actually remove it in 10.0. It's really minor though, so I don't want
to create churn, but if we can get it into 9.9 without much issue, it would
be nice. If folks agree, I can get it merged onto 9.9.

Cheers,
-Greg

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
For clarity, consider this vote cancelled. A new vote has been started on an RC2 build.

> On 30 Nov 2023, at 16:22, Greg Miller <gsmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If we're spinning a new RC, I'd like to ask this group if it would make sense to pull this very small method deprecation in: https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12854
>
> If there's a chance we don't release a 9.10 and go directly to 10.0, this would be our last opportunity to mark it deprecated on a 9.x version so we can actually remove it in 10.0. It's really minor though, so I don't want to create churn, but if we can get it into 9.9 without much issue, it would be nice. If folks agree, I can get it merged onto 9.9.

Thanks for raising the issue. I don’t have a strong opinion on whether or not to do the deprecation in this release, and since you say that it is minor, then I don’t see that it necessitates another respin.

Since I had already started an RC2 build, then I just continued with it (and since the above issue is not yet reviewed ). If others feel like the deprecation should absolutely be in, then we can do an RC3.

-Chris.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
OK, great. I wanted to post a +1 already. Will wait for 2nd RC.

Uwe

Am 30.11.2023 um 16:38 schrieb Michael McCandless:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 9:56?AM Chris Hegarty
> <christopher.hegarty@elastic.co.invalid> wrote:
>
> P.S. I’m less sure about this, but the RC 2 starts a 72hr voting
> time again? (Just so I know what TTL to put on that)
>

> Yeah a new 72 hour clock starts with each new RC :)
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
> Thanks for raising the issue. I don’t have a strong opinion on whether or
not to do the deprecation in this release, and since you say that it is
minor, then I don’t see that it necessitates another respin. Since I had
already started an RC2 build, then I just continued with it (and since the
above issue is not yet reviewed ). If others feel like the deprecation
should absolutely be in, then we can do an RC3.

++, makes total sense. Not worth stalling the RC. If RC2 fails to go
forward for some other reason, I'd like to see if I can get this into RC3,
but I wouldn't block RC2 for this minor change. Thanks!

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 10:43?AM Chris Hegarty

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
My expectation is that we will do a 9.x minor at about the same time as
10.0 anyway, this is what we have done in the past for new majors. This
will give an opportunity to make sure we have deprecation warnings for all
breaking changes in 10.0.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.9.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Adrien, that makes sense. I was wondering how we'd ensure all API
breakages in a major release were covered with deprecation messages. Sounds
like this is the answer.

Cheers,
-Greg