Mailing List Archive

Lucene 9.9.0 Release
Hi,

It's been a while since the 9.8.0 release and we’ve accumulated quite a few changes. I’d like to propose that we release 9.9.0.

If there's no objections, I volunteer to be the release manager and will cut the feature branch a week from now, 12:00 28th Nov UTC.

-Chris.
Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
+1

Thank you for volunteering as RC Chris!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
+1 9.9 has plenty of great changes indeed! Thanks for volunteering as a RM,
Chris.

It would be good to try and fix the PKLookup regression that was introduced
since 9.8: http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/lucenebench/PKLookup.html.
Is it just about getting #12699
<https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12699> merged?

Separately, I have a PR that does a small change to the file format of
postings and skip lists. It's certainly not a blocker for 9.9, but it would
be convenient to get it into 9.9 since we already changed file formats for
the switch from PFOR to FOR. Does someone have time to take a look? #12810
<https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12810>

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 11:16?AM Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Thank you for volunteering as RC Chris!
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 4:52?AM Chris Hegarty
> <christopher.hegarty@elastic.co.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's been a while since the 9.8.0 release and we’ve accumulated quite a
>> few changes. I’d like to propose that we release 9.9.0.
>>
>> If there's no objections, I volunteer to be the release manager and will
>> cut the feature branch a week from now, 12:00 28th Nov UTC.
>>
>> -Chris.

Adrien
Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
+1 9.9 will be a stellar release!

Thank you Chris!

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
+1, thank you Chris!

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
+1 thanks for volunteering!

Hijacking the thread a bit, sorry, I started looking into whether this is a
good time to start looking ahead to 10? I know we had some rumblings about
releasing that so we can start requiring newer JDKs. But looking at CHANGES
it feels like we already back-ported most of the good stuff and lack a
truly compelling reason to move ahead (other than JDK requirement and fact
that it has been 2 years since 9). So maybe we wait a bit longer?

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
+1 to a 9.9.0 release, thanks for volunteering.

And also positive to immediately start planning the 10.0 release. JDK bump -> 17 is a major "feature" in itself, so we can bump main branch to 21 too. And discontinue support for 8.x after the 8.11.3 release.

Jan

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien,

Comments inline.

> On 21 Nov 2023, at 12:31, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1 9.9 has plenty of great changes indeed! Thanks for volunteering as a RM, Chris.
>
> It would be good to try and fix the PKLookup regression that was introduced since 9.8: http://people.apache.org/~mikemccand/lucenebench/PKLookup.html. Is it just about getting #12699 <https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12699> merged?

I see that this is not yet merged. It looks like it is waiting final review.

> Separately, I have a PR that does a small change to the file format of postings and skip lists. It's certainly not a blocker for 9.9, but it would be convenient to get it into 9.9 since we already changed file formats for the switch from PFOR to FOR. Does someone have time to take a look? #12810 <https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12810>
I see that this has been merged, and later reverted because of some test instability. The new issue tracking this work is #12810 <https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12810> [1]. Are we still expecting this to be resolved in 9.9.0 ?

-Chris.

[1] https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12810

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Chris for checking.

I had been too optimistic for #12180, I'll push it to 9.10.

Fingers crossed that #12699 fixes the performance drop.

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
+1, thanks for volunteering Chris!

#12699 is merged to main. I plan to backport it to 9.9 if it fixes the performance drop, otherwise revert #12699 and #12631 (the PR introduced regression) and push them to the next version.

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi Guo,

Thanks for the update.

Let’s push the 9.9.0 branch cut until tomorrow (rather than today as previously suggested), which should allow time to determine the outstanding issues you mentioned below. That should be more straightforward all round.

New 9.9.0 branch cut 12:00 29th Nov 2023 UTC.

We have flexibility here, and I hope that this helps.

-Chris.

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

Nightly benchmark shows that #12699 gets back some speed. I've backport it to 9.9.0. I think it is ready now.

Sorry for delaying the release!

Feng

Re: Lucene 9.9.0 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi Feng,

> On 29 Nov 2023, at 11:25, Guo Feng <guofeng@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Nightly benchmark shows that #12699 gets back some speed. I've backport it to 9.9.0. I think it is ready now.

Awesome!

> Sorry for delaying the release!

No apology needed. I appreciate your speedy work here.

I’ll start the branch cut process soon, and post an update when it is done.

-Chris.