python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.8.0-RC1-rev-d914b3722bd5b8ef31ccf7e8ddc638a87fd648db

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours, as there's a weekend, the vote
will last until 2023-09-27 06:00 UTC.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1 (non-binding)
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I verified the release with the usual tools and my workflow:

Policeman Jenkins ran smoketester for me with Java 11 and Java 17:
https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Release-Tester/28/console

SUCCESS! [1:10:15.704228]

In addition I checked the changes entries and ran Luke with Java 21 GA
(released two days ago). All fine!

+1 to release!

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
+1 SUCCESS! [0:54:58.932481]

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 4:18?PM Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I verified the release with the usual tools and my workflow:
>
> Policeman Jenkins ran smoketester for me with Java 11 and Java 17:
> https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Release-Tester/28/console
>
> SUCCESS! [1:10:15.704228]
>
> In addition I checked the changes entries and ran Luke with Java 21 GA
> (released two days ago). All fine!
>
> +1 to release!
>
> Am 22.09.2023 um 07:48 schrieb Patrick Zhai:
> > Please vote for release candidate 1 for Lucene 9.8.0
> >
> > The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.8.0-RC1-rev-d914b3722bd5b8ef31ccf7e8ddc638a87fd648db
> >
> > You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
> >
> > python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.8.0-RC1-rev-d914b3722bd5b8ef31ccf7e8ddc638a87fd648db
> >
> > The vote will be open for at least 72 hours, as there's a weekend, the
> > vote will last until 2023-09-27 06:00 UTC.
> >
> > [ ] +1 approve
> > [ ] +0 no opinion
> > [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
> >
> > Here is my +1 (non-binding)
>
> --
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> https://www.thetaphi.de
> eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The Elasticsearch CI is green with the Lucene RC1 build [1].

+1 to release.

-Chris.

[1] https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/pull/99800

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
+1

SUCCESS! [0:49:28.203159]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Smoke tester only

SUCCESS! [1:22:37.441415]

+1 (binding)

Jan

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
I ran the smoketester and had a failure. It seems related to some
log4j hot patch script we are required to run at work which is somehow
conflicting with the security manager? I'm killing that and trying
again, but I wonder if this is going to cause problems at runtime as
well? How do we enable the security manager -is it only when running
tests?

org.apache.lucene.codecs.simpletext.TestSimpleTextPostingsFormat >
classMethod FAILED
java.lang.AssertionError: The test or suite printed 15378 bytes to
stdout and stderr, even though the limit was set to 8192 bytes.
Increase the limit with @Limit, ignore it
completely with @SuppressSysoutChecks or run with
-Dtests.verbose=true
at __randomizedtesting.SeedInfo.seed([3E554FE0FEE122B9]:0)
at org.apache.lucene.tests.util.TestRuleLimitSysouts.afterIfSuccessful(TestRuleLimitSysouts.java:283)
at com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.rules.TestRuleAdapter$1.afterIfSuccessful(TestRuleAdapter.java:36)
at com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.rules.StatementAdapter.evaluate(StatementAdapter.java:37)
at org.apache.lucene.tests.util.TestRuleAssertionsRequired$1.evaluate(TestRuleAssertionsRequired.java:53)
at org.apache.lucene.tests.util.AbstractBeforeAfterRule$1.evaluate(AbstractBeforeAfterRule.java:43)
at org.apache.lucene.tests.util.TestRuleMarkFailure$1.evaluate(TestRuleMarkFailure.java:44)
at org.apache.lucene.tests.util.TestRuleIgnoreAfterMaxFailures$1.evaluate(TestRuleIgnoreAfterMaxFailures.java:60)
at org.apache.lucene.tests.util.TestRuleIgnoreTestSuites$1.evaluate(TestRuleIgnoreTestSuites.java:47)
at org.junit.rules.RunRules.evaluate(RunRules.java:20)
at com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.rules.StatementAdapter.evaluate(StatementAdapter.java:36)
at com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.ThreadLeakControl$StatementRunner.run(ThreadLeakControl.java:390)
at com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.ThreadLeakControl.lambda$forkTimeoutingTask$0(ThreadLeakControl.java:850)

org.apache.lucene.codecs.simpletext.TestSimpleTextPostingsFormat >
test suite's output saved to
/tmp/smoke_lucene_9.8.0_d914b3722bd5b8ef31ccf7e8ddc638a87fd648db/unpack/lucene-9
.8.0/lucene/codecs/build/test-results/test/outputs/OUTPUT-org.apache.lucene.codecs.simpletext.TestSimpleTextPostingsFormat.txt,
copied below:
2> java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
2> at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
2> at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
2> at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
2> at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
2> at java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndStartAgent(InstrumentationImpl.java:513)
2> at java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallAgentmain(InstrumentationImpl.java:535)
2> Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
("java.lang.RuntimePermission"
"accessClassInPackage.jdk.internal.org.objectweb.asm")
2> at java.base/java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:472)
2> at java.base/java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:897)
2> at java.base/java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:322)
2> at java.base/java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPackageAccess(SecurityManager.java:1238)
2> at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:174)
2> at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:527)
2> at Log4jHotPatch.asmVersion(Log4jHotPatch.java:71)
2> at Log4jHotPatch.agentmain(Log4jHotPatch.java:93)
2> ... 6 more

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
ok, I re-ran without the pesky log4j-thingy running and

SUCCESS! [0:55:54.865250]

+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

as Lucene does not use Log4j, it is unclear why it wants to patch
anything. The problem in indeed caused by SecurityManager which is
enabled for running Lucene tests. Actually it detects that something
tries to access some internals of ASM, not sure what it exactly does.
The "injected" Agent code must possibly use
AccessController#doPrivileged and the security context must allow
patching of classes.

In short: SecurityManager has done everything it should do: It detected
an illegal access. Mission achieved! You have to report this issue and
patch your tool so it works correctly with SecurityManager.

Uwe

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

>> 2> at Log4jHotPatch.asmVersion(Log4jHotPatch.java:71)

This coming from Amazon’s Log4Shell hot patch [1], which I believe was deployed by default on many (all?) JVM’s running on Amazon instances. Well… that was almost 2yrs ago, not sure why it’s still showing up in some places now - it should not be needed.

In fact, I do remember seeing and reporting this issue back in late 2021. The hot patcher initially used the JDK’s internal ASM library, which is the root cause of the security exception. The hot patcher was subsequently fixed to not do this - it bundles/shades ASM itself. This fix was made in late 2021.

I have no idea why the system in question is running an old version of the hot patcher. @Michael, you should probably take a look at that system, maybe it needs some updates or something?

-Chris.

[1] https://github.com/corretto/hotpatch-for-apache-log4j2/tree/main

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
thanks for the detailed info, folks. I'll see if I can understand why
I may have been running an old instance of that agent. The host I was
running on was created recently.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
+1

Smoke tester is happy!

SUCCESS! [0:46:49.090567]

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
+1

SUCCESS! [0:41:00.311710]

Julie

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
+1

SUCCESS! [0:21:40.221538]

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.8.0 RC1 [ In reply to ]
+1 (non-binding)
SUCCESS! [1:05:42.202068]

Xugang
https://www.amazingkoala.com.cn/