Java 11/17 Version Matrix
Hi Devs,

What are our thoughts on Java 11 and 17 version compatibility going forward
for Lucene 9? Will we support both? If so, would Java 11 support likely
continue for the entire 9.x release line?

Is there a JIRA tracking this?

Thanks,
Mike
RE: Java 11/17 Version Matrix [ In reply to ]
There are no good reasons to do Java 17 and it is way too early.

Reagrding real optimizations, Lucene 17 is unfortunately not containing Project Panama or Vector API, so it looks more like Java 18/19 is a good candidate as a new minimum at a later stage.

I’d release Lucene 9 with Java 11 (which is LTS) and then decide later if we update to some post-17 version to get the new vector and panama APIs (vector search, SIMD and also MMapDirectory v2). If we do this, we should simply release Lucene 10.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen