Mailing List Archive

Another engine
Hi.

I like Lucene (THAT'S RIGHT!), but it doesn't offer me all features I
want. That's why I decided to write another JAVA engine. If the features
(see below) are interested for you, and you are a developer, that would
like to help me with the new engine, PLEASE let me know (use my private
mail, I DO NOT WANT TO START A FLAMEWAR HERE, LARBIN IS COOL. Howgh).
Thank you.

I would like to contribute to Lucene project, but I have chosen
different object model for the new engine... :-(

Demo runs here: http://somis4.ais.dundee.ac.uk/sheeef/index.jsp (the
machine indexes *.ac.uk right now, so the speed may be slower if you try
many concurrent queries).

Features:
- extended Boolean model with p-metrics
- index compression via Golomb, Elias-Gamma, and block coding. Better
than Lucene for more than 20-50%. Each inverted list is stored in the
best coding method. The method is selected by "inverted list metadata"
object - it is not hard-coded.
- highly configurable dynamization algorithm - it guarantees a good
response time for query(), insert(), delete() operations (without
degradation of index structure)
- universal stemming technique for almost any language (not used in demo)
- on distributed architecture, insert() would not lock the index
- the engine would be able to simulate Harvest structure of Brokers
- ...

Speed (indexing 2000 HTML documents, without stemming)
Larbin-latest: 1'17"
the engine: 1'22"
[RH73,IBMJDK131+JIT]

Regards,

Leo

Re: Another engine [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I like Larbin, too, but that's a web crawler (apples, oranges, bananas)
The demo doesn't seem to work.
I'd be curious to see it when it becomes available.

Otis

Re: Another engine [ In reply to ]
My guess is he has created a form letter to try to get Developer
support and is emailing all the developer groups that might have any
similarity. He screwed up and did replace Lucene with Larbin in the
lower sentence.

--Peter

Re: Another engine [ In reply to ]
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I like Larbin, too, but that's a web crawler (apples, oranges, bananas)
>The demo doesn't seem to work.
>I'd be curious to see it when it becomes available.
>
>Otis

Hi Otis,

you are right, the system had problems (bug in Tomcat). It would work
now. Backup instance also runs here:
http://com-os2.ms.mff.cuni.cz/sheeef/index.jsp

THX

Leo

BTW: yes, Larbin is a crawler. I was thinking about the indexing process
of ac.uk when I wrote the message. :-) Much work, you know...

Re: Another engine [ In reply to ]
Peter Carlson wrote:

> My guess is he has created a form letter to try to get Developer
> support and is emailing all the developer groups that might have any
> similarity. He screwed up and did replace Lucene with Larbin in the
> lower sentence.
>
> --Peter

No, it is trivial, Dr. Watson, it is trivial (see the previous message
to Otis)... 2U: NO COMMENT. My motto: Your logic is your logic. I have
many problems too.

Developer support? What the hell is that? See this
http://com-os2.ms.mff.cuni.cz/docs/ :-)

Leo